hf1

Changing applix BGs to snaps - can it be done?

My avatar
sugarmouse
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Changing applix BGs to snaps - can it be done?

Postby sugarmouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:56 am

I have been thinking about this too, either replacing the aplix for which you can get kits, though I dont know if you can get them in the uk (surely somewhere) or changing then to snaps. I very much doubt I have the time for this and I don't have the stuff. @justme123 do you think you might have time to do ours too?

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Slebro » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:50 am

@sugarmouse I bought a snap press online and although it's a little more expensive than paying someone just do 1 nappy, it's obv better value the more nappies you do. I got it to do 2 bgs that I couldn't use at all and have got others to be done when I get a moment so it'll pay for itself and I felt all thrifty fixing something myself!

Eta: snap pliers not press!
Last edited by Slebro on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:59 pm

If you were just going to replace a few snaps on pockets etc, you could pick up a handheld snap pliars cheaply and get the KAM snaps to match. I use my snaps for everything!

My avatar
sugarmouse
Clothie
Clothie

Postby sugarmouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks. I took the plunge and spent £25 in snaps and pliers this morning. I think we have at least ten BG that need doing. Our 7monther frequently finds his way out of the them with the rubbish aplix. I was just a bit worried about finding the time to do it seeing as I also have a 2 year old and the littlest one doesn't sleep. Just going to have to take the plunge....

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:05 pm

I have about 15 BG's that are perfect apart from curly applix and he un does it under his clothes!! Would love a snap piler :-/ Or someone to do it for me lol

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:17 pm

I splurged on a KAM press when we thought we were moving back to France a couple of years ago as I thought I was going to need to be doing a lot of sewing to keep us fed! I must say I actually use it more than I thought I would, I regularly think 'oh I could pop a press-stud on that to sort it out!' I probably use it more than my poor sewing machine at the moment :sewing: :doh: I think most people would soon pay for a hand pliers set (the pliers anqd a set of the studs).

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:01 pm

Big tip for you all. If you use KAM snaps the prong can often be too long for just PUL or one or two layers of fabric. Snip the end off (once its in place) with some nail clippers, and it works a treat. If its too long it will smoosh up and won't snap in the snapper.

Also if you make a mistake you can use clippers to snip away at the bits until you can pull it apart. Or use a red hot skewer to poke through the middle - but that *can* ruin the fabric.

My avatar
sugarmouse
Clothie
Clothie

Postby sugarmouse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Well I've done 9 out of 12. I got the size smaller than they use on the nappies but aside from that all is well. The littlest one can still undo the new snaps though so might have to replace with the next size up. Unfortunately none of the tutorials I found suggested the correct size to use - or not that I could see. I used a rumparooz nappy as a template. But yes, the pliers etc. are a very useful tool. I keep seeing things to add snaps to. The only thing is that you are left with so many of the stud bits compared to the socket bit with doing these nappies.

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:59 am

What size kam snaps are the best I need to do my stash of bg!

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies