hf1

Help! Fuzzibunz leaking

My avatar
daisy_123
Clothie
Clothie

Help! Fuzzibunz leaking

Postby daisy_123 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:12 am

Hi! Hoping some of you can help me figure out how to get our Fuzzibunz one-size nappies to work. I had a look at some of the other posts on this topic, but would appreciate extra tips if possible!

We have been using Fuzzibunz one-size since our baby was 3 months old without any problems. However, in the last month they have been diasastrous. I have strip washed them, tightened them up, and started including a bamboo insert in every nappy (have tried in top of the microfibre and under it). But she is still leaking through even in under an hour sometimes. They do seem to be fairly saturated, so I think she is a heavy wetter.

As far as tightening the nappies goes, the fit seems to be appropriately snug now and poo is no longer leaking out the legs, but sometimes it gets squished up to the front top of the nappy instead - argh. Will this problem go away when it gets more solid?

Maybe it is my washing routine? I use about 20mls of Bold 2 in 1 clay-based orange blossom detergent. We are in Spain, where there is no distinction between bio and non-bio so I ordered the Bold online because of recommendations online. I do a cold wash, 60c wash with 20ml Bold, then a cold rinse. Is it possible to use too little detergent? Maybe I need to use more and rinse more afterwards?

I am wondering if a lot of the leaks are compression leaks because my baby is sitting a lot more now on the floor / in the high chair / on my lap. Maybe once she is walking there will be less pressure on her bum?

I really want to get these nappies to work! We have spent a fortune on them and I just hate disposables. We use them while travelling and hubby and I are always both delighted to return to cloth at home, as is our baby's bum.

Please help! Any tips would be gratefully received!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: Help! Fuzzibunz leaking

Postby Louise » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:43 am

We don't get on with mf at all. When it is saturated and compressed it squishes liquid back out causing leaks. We use a combination of bamboo and hemp inserts in all of our pockets. If she is a very heavy wetter then you may need to switch to fitteds and wraps or wool/fleece. I have known some people who's LO's just cannot wear pockets for any length of time.

My avatar
daisy_123
Clothie
Clothie

Postby daisy_123 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:53 am

That's exactly what I didn't want to hear! Although, maybe I could try just stuffing with bamboo for a while and see how we get on.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:44 am

I would ditch th microfibre.we managed pockets with a fairly heavy wetter but stuffed with a ptit dessous and 2 easy peasy hemp and sometimes an extra little lamb or greenkids booster and we'd get 2-3 hours. I also used 2 easy peasy bamboo instead of the PD

My avatar
daisy_123
Clothie
Clothie

Postby daisy_123 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Well I just tried this evening with 3 bamboo boosters (Little Lamb) and no microfibre and she saturated them and leaked through within 30 minutes. I wonder if the crazily heavy wetting is to do with a developmental phase or something. I'll look in to the petit dessous too. Really want to work this out!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Little lambs aren't meant to be inserts just boosters so won't hold much and I find they aren't wide enough. The easy peasy bamboo are wider and thicker as are the Ptit dessous and easy peasy hemp.

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:57 pm

daisy_123 wrote:I really want to get these nappies to work! We have spent a fortune on them and I just hate disposables. We use them while travelling and hubby and I are always both delighted to return to cloth at home, as is our baby's bum.

Please help! Any tips would be gratefully received!

I'm not an expert on making nappies work, but I would say that assuming your Fuzzibunz are in decent condition, you do have the option of selling a few and maybe using the revenue to buy other nappies pre-loved to see if they work any better? I'm guessing a bamboo based one might work better for you. Bamboozle by Tots Bots, or Bumbles, from Easy Peasy maybe.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:30 pm

lazylexis wrote:Little lambs aren't meant to be inserts just boosters so won't hold much and I find they aren't wide enough. The easy peasy bamboo are wider and thicker as are the Ptit dessous and easy peasy hemp.

WSS Little Lamb boosters are really thin so I am not surprised she outpeed them! Easy Peasy bamboo have 3 layers and P'tit Dessous 8 when folded so either of those will be a lot more absorbent than Little lamb. I would also use some hemp under the bamboo as just bamboo on its own probably won't be enough.

My avatar
daisy_123
Clothie
Clothie

Postby daisy_123 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:25 pm

Thanks for all the advice, it's really helpful. I managed to win some Petits Dessous on ebay so we will try those and see if we can get the nappies to last longer. I hadn't realised there was such a difference between boosters and inserts so that's good to know. I think we will definitely be selling some of what we have, even just the microfibre inserts to recoup the money for all the extras.

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies