hf1

Has anyone successfully re-waterproofed their nappies?

My avatar
[patchwork]
Clothie
Clothie

Has anyone successfully re-waterproofed their nappies?

Postby [patchwork] » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Our nappies are ruined. I think its because they were left wet for too long before being washed, (our machine broke and then OH was in hospital for a week so it was the last thing on my mind and i have no idea how to fix a washing machine even if i wanted to lol).
Anyway, i've had a few people make suggestions on what MIGHT work but has anyone actually done it? We have mostly pockets but some wraps were ruined too.

(Its not that they need stripping either as we've recently done this and also its leaking through the material- not out of the leg holes)

TIA

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Has anyone successfully re-waterproofed their nappies?

Postby Louise » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 am

Kind of! One of my brand new pockets was leaking like this and I popped it in the tumble drier for a few minutes to reseal the PUL. I've heard of others doing this too. Not sure what other ways there are though.

My avatar
mangajude
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mangajude » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Louise wrote:Kind of! One of my brand new pockets was leaking like this and I popped it in the tumble drier for a few minutes to reseal the PUL. I've heard of others doing this too. Not sure what other ways there are though.

We did that and it worked well, also the stuff you use to re waterproof tents works too, just turn them inside out, spray liberally, especially round the seams.

Good luck hope you can save some of them!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Apparently a hot timble for 30mins does the trick in some cases. Didn't work for me but have heard lots say it has worked so fingers crossed!

My avatar
mollycoddles
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mollycoddles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:43 pm

Oh my goodness, hope your hubby is OK. And hope you managed to fix the washing machine! Will track this post... let me know if you have any success. I have two nappies that delaminated. Don't know how it happened, they don't leak but the plastic is separate from the material, and I can't use them as pockets anymore as I'm terrified I'll rip the plastic when putting the boosters inside.

I agree with above posts though, the tent stuff should work... try millets or blacks or an outdoors shop for that... or maybe ebay...

I've also heard about tumble drying... it didn't work with my mama's little helper nappies, but it also didn't damage them any more. The plastic did reattach briefly but then detatched again later. I think in the case of these two nappies it's possibly the wrong type of plastic that was used (it feels a bit like a slight variation on cling film) shame as the applix on these is great and they fit superbly!

Just out of interest... do you normally soak your nappies? I'm a little worried about mine now - I often leave them for 3 days at a time, wouldn't know how to spray a waterproof layer on to my closeparents, and my holdens landings. There's clearly advantages to pocket nappies.

Hope you manage to save your nappies, but more importantly hope your hubby is alright!

My avatar
[patchwork]
Clothie
Clothie

Postby [patchwork] » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi thanks for the replies. Tumbling wont work, we tumble them all on low anyway so if it was going to help it would have done so by now (we've always tumbled so that's not the cause).
I will look into getting some of the tent spray, we've decided to swap to terrys/shaped nappies anyway so if i can fix the pockets i'll be selling them for cheap (mainly ebay cheapies).
mollycoddles i know what you mean about the delaminating, by really cheap £2 ebays from china (Babyland) have done this, they were till waterproof until recently. Thanks for your concern for my OH, the accident (cement burns to knees and lower legs) was over 2 monthsago now and his skin grafts have healed nicely, he's very scarred and still needs physio but he still has his legs- thats the important bit! :thumbsup:

Oh and no i dont soak anything thats waterproof, we may start soaking the terries though as theyre getting very stained with toddler/newborn milk poo

My avatar
Mummyof4
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mummyof4 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi, I had ALL my nappies do this - and I don't know why either. DH had the idea of stretching them right out and ironing them on a no.2 setting (we started on no.1, it varies from iron to iron). It has worked well so far, but haven't washed it again since, so I'll let you know how it turns out!

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies