New to cloth

My avatar
SuperKarenne
Clothie
Clothie

New to cloth

Postby SuperKarenne » Tue May 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi all
I'm a newbie and planning to start my cloth journey tomorrow. I have bought 10 eBay pocket nappies (little bloom) with which I bought 20 bamboo inserts. These say they are 4 layer, with 2 bamboo layers and 2 microfibre layers at the core. I also have fleece liners and flushable liners for the poo!

Should I start off with one insert and see how long I get out of it or go straight in with 2 inserts?
Would I be better with boosters instead of additional inserts?

I'm thinking of just using for daytime at the moment and getting some little lamb bamboo fitted for nighttime as they look good.

Also how do you know if bubs is a light/medium/heavy wetter? He's 7 months, having 30oz of formula, sips of water and small amounts of solids.

Thanks for any help in advance!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: New to cloth

Postby clothmama » Wed May 28, 2014 10:05 am

Just wanted to say a quick welcome as I'm on my way to bed but will reply properly tomorrow! Oh and :yahoo: :yahoo: for starting your cloth journey!!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby sim » Wed May 28, 2014 10:15 am

Congratulations on starting your cloth journey. I'd start with a single insert and check it after 1 and 2 hours. I expect to get no more than 3 hours out of a cloth nappy (and that depends on the nappy I am using and the time of day). If one turns out to not be enough you can try two.

My boys have been heavy wetters up to about 8 / 9 months of age and then settled to medium-ish.
I have always used 6 or 8 layer bamboo inserts with a hemp booster underneath in pockets but your will find what combination works for you as each child is different.

As for heavy wetters, my DS2 could outpee a LL bamboo with a booster in it in under an hour when he was about 4 months old and at night needed a massive little gumnut night nappy with two hemp boosters under wool longies. Anything less was a disaster!!
He is now 13 months eating really well and drinking about 20oz milk a day plus water with meals. He is now what I would call a medium wetter. We get 3 hours out of most bamboo fitteds and 2.5 - 3 hours out of pockets, but they will be 'full'!

HTH!

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:55 am

Start with one and see how you go. Don't expect more than 3-4 hours out of cloth in the day. You might get leaks at first until you learn the correct fit. My daughter always leaks if Aunty em does her nappy.

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies