hf1

Pros and cons of pockets?

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Pros and cons of pockets?

Postby PixieFix » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:01 am

I got some baba and boo pockets to try and I'm not getting on with them at all. I've tried them with the 2 mf inserts they came with, with 1 mf and 2 bamboo, with just bamboo and I don't seem to be having much luck. I think the problem might actually be they are too big around the legs but also once it was leaking at the back near the top through the pul. What would cause that?

Anyway, so I've fallen out of love with pockets. But I realise there is a whole world of pockets out there and don't want to give up yet. So, what pockets work for you and what are they particularly good for? And what cons should I watch out for? I really don't know anything about pockets, my great nappy love are ll bamboo fitteds :love:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Pros and cons of pockets?

Postby sim » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:09 am

I'm no help, I'm a fitteds girl through and through:)

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:34 am

I used mostly bum genius pockets. What bamboo inserts are you using? They only ones that worked for us were p'tit dessous.

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:00 am

I liked sunshine baby pockets from eBay stuffed with one bamboo and one hemp. We've moved back to Terry squares now though.

My avatar
_michelle_
Clothie
Clothie

Postby _michelle_ » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:05 pm

I use a mixture of pockets and AIOs for day time with my 22 month old twins. I like bumgenius pockets and find blueberry one size one of the most absorbent pockets unboosted. I find the bamboo inserts good for car journeys but a little bulky. Never had one leak free wear from a baba and boo or a charlie banana pocket though no matter what I stuffed in them.

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:39 pm

I use pockets a lot (although I do love fitteds too, especially with newborn bf poo!). I don't have a tumble drier so being able to pull them all apart to dry in doors on a clothes horse at this time of year is invaluable! My fitted nappies take nearly twice as long to dry :waiting:
I use LL BTP pockets and Charlie Banana one size pockets (Fuzzibunz didn't work for me at all). I must say that when she was very young I did get leaks a lot more often which very rarely happens now unless she's accidentally left in too long. I think this was possibly a fit issue and that's why it doesn't happen now that she's bigger (a chunky 9 month old :giggle: ).
I seem to have a heavy wetter so soon discarded Microfibre inserts as they didn't seem to work at all. I use 2 bamboo (mainly the LL bamboo that come with the pocket nappy) and then 1 hemp insert underneath (furthest away from bum iyswim). This generally gives me 2.5 - 3 hours. Not everyone seems to get on with LL pockets but they work really well for my LO. They do have sized ones as well so maybe try a small one to see if you get a better fit with that?
I would definitely try adding a hemp booster though as has made world of difference to our pocket nappies.
I have just bought a GroVia AI2, so it's a BTP shell with a hemp/cotton insert that snaps in rather than having to stuff the pocket. Haven't tried it yet though as just finished drying from being pre-washed but I'm hoping this will be another good one as seems quick to dry and should be very absorbent being mainly hemp :fingerscrossed:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:16 pm

Its so individual for each baby. Pockets really didnt work with my elder two, but LL sized pockets are great on no3. Ive tried the larger ones on my middle child and actually they are pretty good too! Not sure if its being sized, or the fact that they have a gusset or the triple layer compressed bamboo insert. I was a fitted gal too, until i found these!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:22 am

Another vote for little lamb pockets, cheap too.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:31 am

Get a bundle of different types and try them on your baby, also different types work at different times.
I like pockets especially bumgenius, you can stuff with what you like and increase for night time but fitteds do seem to wick less and are good for newborns.
I like the bumgenius xs newborn aio too

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies