My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

confused about inserts/boosters

Postby clairelana » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:29 pm

I don't know where to start!
Do i need inserts or boosters or both?

I've read "inserts- your fav?" thread but still not a clue.

At the moment we are using microfiber inserts. I tend to put something in with them to make them last longer as we were/are only getting a couple o hours out of a nappy. I think these are too bulky for day time.

I've just got some boosters today. In her nappy at the moment is a terry booster a cotton booster and a hemp booster. Is this totally wrong? Its much slimmer than what we have been putting in, is it going to be enough? How long should the nappy's be lasting?

I think i'm going to have to invest in some new inserts/boosters. Where do i start.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: confused about inserts/boosters

Postby flutterby » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:19 pm

Cotton on top of hemp sounds good, I would'nt bother with just microfibre it's bulky and squishes wee out, my fav combo is bamboo on top of hemp, but I don't have many bamboo inserts so I usually end up with microfibre on top of the hemp!

You have to have something on top of the hemp as it is slow to absorb, so needs something to absorb quickly on top!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:19 pm

Oh and inserts are for pockets boosters are for fitteds but you can use either as either normally!

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:01 pm

I have bought some p'tits dessous - bamboo inserts and easy peasy - hemp boosters. After reading the inserts posts, this seems to work for a couple of people.

How many washes does it take to get full absorbency?

I also got from here some WN hemp and bamboo combo inserts. Will i need to put something with these or should they be ok on own?

Sorry to be a pain.

x

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:05 pm

We use a combo of a BG MF insert with an Easy Peasy Hemp booster under it in all Bella's pockets.

You generally need to wash hemp and bamboo at least 3 times, but they can need up to 10 washes to reach max absorbancy.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:07 pm

I loove the BG inserts, them and an EP hemp will last summer over night, I want more but they are soo expensive!!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:21 pm

flutterby wrote:I loove the BG inserts, them and an EP hemp will last summer over night, I want more but they are soo expensive!!

That combo lasts Bella up to 3 hours, sometimes more if in the right nappy. We need lots of boosting in a NightNotion to go over night.

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:39 pm

I have got a BG insert on its way so will give that a go too.

Thank you ladies.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:54 pm

I tend to change Iris every 2-3 hours. I stuff our pockets with a combination of microfibre and hemp. Sometimes the hemp makes up the bulk of the insert (I might use both parts of a Wonderfulls or a Wee Notions fold in three or a Big Weed) with a microfibre cloth on top (just something cheap from Tesco works for us). And sometimes the microfibre makes up the majority of the stuffing with a slimmer hemp (maybe a BumGenius or Fuzzi Bunz insert with an Easy Peasy hemp booster).

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies