hf1

Is this normal / HELP! / Wonderoos!

My avatar
2greys
Clothie
Clothie

Is this normal / HELP! / Wonderoos!

Postby 2greys » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:22 pm

Hello, I have a 1 year old who is currently in dispicables :oops: I have been using and loving Wonderoos with the one large Wonderoo micro insert for ages. I went off on holiday for 3 weeks and put her in dispys for the holiday, on my return to my home and nappy stash its all gone horribly wrong! She seems to have gone from regular pee-ing to staying dry for ages and then doing one massive (and very strong smelling) pee which instantly floods her nappy (and trousers!). I tried adding the extra smaller micro insert but just can't live with it; my daughter is very slim built and with 2 inserts the nappy is 3 times the size of her and her clothes look terrible - if I can get them on!

Is any of this normal? I know that strong smelling pee normally means dehydrated but she has been like it 3 (ish) weeks now and she gets offered all the water she wants between and with meals, plus boobie 3 times a day, and won't take more water. I would understand if the going longer between pees is a normal part of growing older / better bladder control but is there anything I can do to get my wonderoos working without them giving her a butt to rival the marshmallow man from Ghostbusters?

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Is this normal / HELP! / Wonderoos!

Postby eviesmummy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:54 am

Im actually very impressed that you have managed with just the 1 microfibre insert in the nappy up to now! If you are finding the 2 microfibre inserts bulky, you could try and put hemp underneath the microfibre to give you extra absorbancy. Hemp is slimmer, plus it absorbs more and doesnt act like a sponge and squish the wee out when its saturated like microfibre does. It does absorb slower though so you should always use microfibre (or cotton, or bamboo) above it.

When I used Wonderoos with Evie at about this age, I bought half mine with the microfibre insert and half with the hemp insert and swapped them about so I was always using microfibre on top of hemp. If you dont want to go to the expense of buying more Wonderful hemp inserts, then I would suggest Easy Peasy Hemp inserts - at £2 each these are fab and can really make your nappies more absorbant.

As for smelling of wee, perhaps your inserts need stripping - run them through a few cold rinses in your machine, adding a couple of teaspoons of bicarb of soda in the powder drawer, and that should clear away smells.

Sadie xx

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:54 am

any possibility she has a bladder infection and isnt weeing cause it hurts?

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:29 am

I agree with what has been said about swapping microfibre and hemp to make it more absorbent.

Also - are the inserts really wet when you take them out or is it that they are leaking before reaching the inserts - this could be due either to her changing shape and therefore needing a change in the fastening of the nappy (I don't know how old she is or what rise you are currently on, could you try adjusting it?) or a build up of something on the fleece not allowing the wee through.

Just some suggestions for you. Hope you find the solution.

My avatar
2greys
Clothie
Clothie

Postby 2greys » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:38 pm

Damn, just wrote a reply and lost it all!

Thanks for the replies,

I may go to the Docs, she seems fine but its her urine smelling really (really) strong and not my inserts - she never used to smell like this!

I have an Easy Peasy hemp insert so will try that but must admit I love the soft fluffiness of micro and hate nasty hard hemp! (Yep, hard water and no tumble drier!). When I take out the inserts they are soaking for the first 3/4 and the end is damp or even dry - but she is a bottom shuffler so there is a lot of downward pressure on the nappies! I have been on maximum rise for ages but the nappy seems to fit fine (daughter foolishly took after husband and has tiny legs and several miles of torso, so its a high rise nappy house!).

I think that the absorbancy is just not enough for a combination of one giant wee and bouncing up and down on her nappy while bottom shuffling around. Hmmm... maybe I could just boost the front of the nappy... (walks off to look at spare inserts pile...)

Thanks for the help, its given me a few things to check!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 am

Sounds like you have found out the problem and hopefully will be able to solve it.

Have to let us know how you get on at the docs

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:56 pm

2greys wrote:I think that the absorbancy is just not enough for a combination of one giant wee and bouncing up and down on her nappy while bottom shuffling around. Hmmm... maybe I could just boost the front of the nappy... (walks off to look at spare inserts pile...)

Think you have found the problem there - microfibre acts like a sponge and sucks up the wee, but then it can squeeze the wee out too - so if your daughter is a bum shuffler, along with the single microfibre insert not being absorbant enough will mean leaks.

FC the hemp booster works for you.

Sadie xx

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies