leaking BG

My avatar
lilchick
Clothie
Clothie

leaking BG

Postby lilchick » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:03 pm

hello!
have posted this same Q as a hijack in another thread but no-one has got back to me boo!

to sum up my similar Q, BG were great -never leaked once and held bf poos no bother- until i went up to next popper size and now they leak if we go over 3 hours, or is this normal wearing time!! they are leaking sometimes well before the 3 hours, bf poos i can understand leaking out, but i dont understand the wee's leaking? i moved up the poppers as there were sore marks on his legs so thought they would be more comfy for him if a bit more give around his legs. I'm putting the insert on the next popper size down to make it longer and have just started using extra insert to give more absorbancy so they seem to be holding up a bit better. They seem to be wet lately too when Dh has changed his nappy so maybe he is just not closing it securely enough. Ds is long but has chunky legs too so don't want to have to tie too tightly! BG are our preferred nappies so I'd like to figure out how to make them more leakproof as I am going to sell on the rest of our stash, maybe keep some LL though, i like these but dh hates the fiddling around with wraps...

had ds weighed this morning, he is 16lbs9oz, is this ok still at the medium setting? I've noticed when the BG have leaked its always in exactly the same spot, behind his left hip. i worry about him getting a chill on his kidneys!! where should the top of the nappy come up to in relation to his belly button?

thanks anyone who takes the time to reply to what is, im sure, an old Q by now here!

My avatar
bibble
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: leaking BG

Postby bibble » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:48 pm

I'll have a go :wink:
I have 2 ds's, both used BGs. My youngest is now 20 months and is still in the medium popper setting, he's slimming down but used to have chunky thighs and small middle. My eldest, when he potty trained when he'd just turned 2 was still in the medium setting, he's a bean pole. Without actually seeing the nappy on your ds in the flesh so-to-speak, it's difficult to know exactly what the problem is so I'm guessing it's one or more of the following:

I suspect it's a case of how the nappy is being put on. When you pull the nappy around your ds, the best way I have found (through some 2 years of trial and error :lol: ) is to pull the sides of the nappy around by pinching the top of the elastic on each thigh rather than by the fuzzy bit of the velcro tape. Does that make sense? I mean, pull the nappy closed by holding the sides by the elastic at the top of the thigh whilst keeping the fold (where the rise is poppered down) neatly tucked over. I think the leak sounds a bit like the leg hole on one side is being done up loose so that there's a gap.

I have found that if the insert isn't completely flat width-ways and ruched up, then wee can pool in the PUL and leak straight out the leg-hole. Could this be it?

My magic combo for inserts is the MF insert always poppered down to the minimum setting with the folded over bit toward the front in the wettest zone (boys eh?) and a hemp easypeasy insert underneath which I think is 6 or more layers of hemp jersey. This would my heavy wetting boys no more than 3 hours, sometimes more (max 4 hours) if they'd not been drinking much or if it's really hot, sometimes less (2.5 hours) if they'd just had a big drink. The insert I stuff in and pull back so it only just covers up the hosepipe, so not as high as the waist band.

I find the BG is best worn low slung, more like pants than a disposable nappy. It always comes up below the belly button on my boys, the velcro strip snugly fitting over the hips. Any higher and as the nappy fills with liquid, gravity would work the nappy down and the leg holes would work loose.

As a last resort, I'd look at wether or not you have a bit of detergent build up. It can make wee run right off the fleece and/or insert. The easiest way to determine if this is the problem is to check the drum when on the last rinse cycle and see if there's loads of bubbles. I've also heard of people running inserts under the tap to see how quick they absorb. Also check your detergent - if you're in a hard water area, if it contains soap, this can be problematic as it leaves a residue (like the soap scum you get on bath toys). I use bold 2 in 1, the infusions, about 25mls with a spoon of water-softening powder. I always put the detergent in the cold pre-wash and wash at 40 with higher water level and intensive stains with only the water-softening powder. The bold does tend to foam a bit, but I find on my machine, by the end of the cycle, the water is clear and the nappies smell scrummy.

Sorry for such a long answer, so many possibilities. Good luck, I hope you sort the problem.

My avatar
lilchick
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lilchick » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:16 pm

thanks bibble!
the leak is above the waist at the back, not below, so i dont think its problem with the leg area closing.
i'm being more careful with making sure the inserts are stretched out and straightened. i think this is prob what the problem was
where can i buy hemp inserts?
i think i have one of the easy peasy ones, its huge? i thought it would be far too bulky to use in nappy so havent used it even though went to the bother of buying it
what is hosepipe reference to?!!
i use the bold 2 in 1 also, only use a spoonful but generally find the nappies dont smell of much when washed so i prob use less rather than more? i think we are in a hard water area tho, i must check the bubbles on the next nappy wash!
thanks for the reply!
oh just out of curiosity, what nappy do you use at night if the BG only go 4 hours at a max?

My avatar
bibble
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby bibble » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:44 pm

lilchick wrote:where can i buy hemp inserts?
i think i have one of the easy peasy ones, its huge? i thought it would be far too bulky to use in nappy so havent used it even though went to the bother of buying it

I got 1/2 my easypeasy inserts from easypeasy directly 2 years ago and I remember having to wait 6 weeks for them. Yes, they do look huge but once mine were washed at 60 or 90 (for absorbancy) they shrunk down to the same size as our BG inserts on their minium setting. I got the rest of my easypeasy inserts from Nappy Central I think, again 2 years ago. They were pretty quick on dispatch and very good customer service.

lilchick wrote:what is hosepipe reference to?!!

That's what my dh calls boys bits, i.e. willy region :lol:

lilchick wrote:oh just out of curiosity, what nappy do you use at night if the BG only go 4 hours at a max?

I've used several different nappies at night with success, generally with lots of boosting and with hemp between nappy and wrap. When ds's were small, the bamboo baby beehinds with both their inserts plus an ellas house small hemp insert between nappy and a stacinator wool wrap. This nappy is small cut though and was soon outgrown for night use. I went off wool as my heavy wetters seemed to stain the wraps and went over to fleece. Our current favourite is the Babeco bamboo velour nappy with just a small ellas house hemp under the nappy's poppered booster with a gorgeous weenotions embroidered fleece wrap over the top. It's enormous but no leaks and my youngest is a super soaker, just like his big brother was. I should add that I bought some fleece off the roll (thick-ish) and cut out my own fleece liners in the same shape as the nappy to make sure that the entire inside of the nappy had fleece between it and the skin. Ds wakes up dry every morning and he wears his night nappy for about 12-13 hours. I love these nappies as I've had them several months and they're still beautifully soft and snuggly when our minky huggles we had for ds1 were super crispy unless fully tumble dried.

I hope that helps a bit. It's trial and error really, every baby's different, but once you find your magic combo, you'll be laughing.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:29 pm

Lilchick - how old's your LO?
At 9 months we could get a BG with an easy peasy hemp booster to last all night, but by 15 months we could only get it to last 3-4 hours thru the day. I would imagine you need to add something else other than the microfibre insert, and the extra absorbancy could help reduce leaks even without changing much to how you do them up. Also we only had the BG's from 9 months, and used them on the med poppers for a very short time (maybe a month) then had to use the large setting as we needed the higher rise.
At nights now we find a slinki minki the most reliable night nappy (it is well boosted), and Kayleigh is now able to take them off and put them on by herself. We also have standard minkis which have a larger pocket to stuff, but I personally would reach for the slinki first.

My avatar
lilchick
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lilchick » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:27 pm

hi bibble and rae
ds is 4 and half months
he was wet through again earlier but on the other side for the first time
it must be my inserts??
ill buy some hemp or bamboo inserts as have just been using a double MF, the newborn one and the doubler that the BG v3 now come with
its just all of a sudden this is happening, since i went up the popper size. his wee legs look much happier though as are rather chunky!
my Dh will go nuts if i buy more 'types' of nappies, he is happy now we have decided to stick with BG!
i'm going to sell on my bmbzls and hh, so will buy then as am about to take 16 weeks unpaid maternity leave!
but want to wait for some sunshine so i can bleach out the bf poo stains!!

lol at the hosepipe! should have guessed :hohoho:

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies