hf1

bottom heavy!

My avatar
lilchick
Clothie
Clothie

bottom heavy!

Postby lilchick » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:48 pm

my sis has given me some fab wool soakers. I have used them at night and find them great, but the only thing is, babs is very bottom heavy when he is wearing them? i put a vest on over them and a sleepsuit on over that, is that total overkill on my part? his wee bum is floating inches above the mattress and i worry that it is putting strain on his back as he doesnt seem to be lying flat?

also, i find in general, his bulky nappies dictate the clothes he wears, all his vests are stretched beyond normal limits and he wears bigger clothes to compensate for his bulky nappies. do other users find this too? some of my inlaws have commented that his nappies might interefere with his using his legs, i dont agree but it has planted a seed of doubt in my mind.

he wears bmbzls, LL and bg. he is nearly 17lbs, 4 and a half months old and tbh the size 1 tots bots are quite snug on him already. im going to sell on the bmbzls (when we get enough sun to bleach out the bf poo stains!) as i think the wraps are too tight on his legs, leave terrible marks even when i buy a bigger size they leave marks very quickly. so, id like to keep with the wool wraps for his night wear and maybe BG for daytime. i love the LL, they are so much softer the the bmbzls which i bought 3rd hand. my sis has also knitted some longies for him, i just need to lanolise them for use.

so, long story short, does anyone else find thier nappies very bulky!!! and how to ensure babs is comfy?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: bottom heavy!

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Gracie either wears a Weenotion night nappy or a fuzzie at night. When she has her WN on it is stuffed with the trifold and snap in booster plus an easy peasy booster, it is bulky but not bad. I bought some non poppered vests from Matalan and she wears them with her pj top and wool shorties and that is it. SHe is either in a grow bag or under a blanket. When she has her wool wrap on she has a loose pair of pj trousers on. We haven't gone down the fitteds route during the day yet, we stick to pockets which work great for us at the mo as do AI1's and AI2's.

I haven't heard of nappies being too bulky to prevent walking etc, perhaps one of the wiser ladies amongst us will be able to help you there. I haven't found a problem with clothes being too tight over nappies. Our Gracie is a tidgy pud compared to your LO, she is only 18lbs at 9 1/2 months!!!!!! :hohoho:

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:10 pm

hiya

I have never had a problem regarding the nappies restricting walking, 2 of mine started to walk at 9 months and the other one at around 12 months :wink:

yes. night nappies are bigbut again not had any issues as a result here.

using a tightly poppered vest over wool may cause wicking issues so I would personally recommend either getting some extenders for the poppers or swap over to normal vests instead :wink:

again, I don't have much problem with clothing fitting either, then again I don't like baby jeans etc so my 3 were/are always in softer, stretchier clothes like jog pants etc, I always looked for ones that were cut wider accross the hip than the waist band if you see what I mean!

hth

jan x

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:12 am

I think that girls can get away with normal clothes with big nappies easier than boys can. You can always see if you can buy clothes that are made specifically for cloth bottomed bums eg cut for cloth or get someone you know to sew some more roomy jeans/trousers for you.
We always used vests that didn't popper together at the bottom. Actually I ended up getting my sister to send some from Australia as you don't seem to be able to get them in the small sizes as easily over here in the UK. You can also buy vest extenders, which will allow you a little more room in the poppered vests.
Another option (assuming you don't have a heavy wetter) is going for a nappy such as the bumgenius or an itti bitti as they are a lot slimer than a LL with a wrap.
The bulky night nappy doesn't seem to bother babies, although Kayleigh will walk like John Wayne when wearing her night nappies now she is nappy free during the day. There was research to suggest that kids wearing sposies are more prone to hip problems as there isn't as soft a landing when they fall when learning to stand/walk.

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies