Happy Heinys help

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Happy Heinys help

Postby clothmama » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:53 pm

:cry: I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, I love the look of my hh but it always seems to wick a little bit, even today it was only on 2 to 3 hours and it wicked (and the inserts wern't sopping by any means). I stuff with a long hemp booster folded in 2 ie 4 layers of hemp and then a mf cloth in 3. Its the combo I use in my fuzzis and I can easily go 4 hours, why is it so much worse, what am I doing wrong? :cry:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:59 pm

I think part of the problem with the patterned HHs is that they're cotton laminate and just not as waterproof as PUL...

You could do a quick tumbledry to sort them out (helps repair the laminate apparently) but we've never had problems with wicking so I can't help much...

I either stuff with a large prefold, or a tots bamboo booster wrapped in a microfibre cloth...

Could it be that his clothes round it are too tight for the less waterproof fabric? How does it work out if you treat it more like fleece wraps - i.e. make sure vests don't pull on it?

I love mine but it's not a long haul nappy - tends to be a change-bag one as it's soooo much easier to change her into when we're out and about and there's lots to look at!!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:27 pm

I don't think vests are a prob as I'm only using normal tshirt types now. I read somewhere that it should be right out to the side (the stuffing) so not sure if my normal things are wide enough, is that true?

I ordered another one 2 days ago in large but now I'm wondering if I should have as today it had wicked quite badly but when I took the stuffing out it was only a bit wet in one spot (1 or 2 wees i'd say) this seems a bit extreme.

He is at the higher end of the scale on meds, is this a possible problem?

I'm feeling very dissalusioned (sp sorry so tired) with them and I don't want to be!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Well good news :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I used a nb terry with the mf cloth and hemp and it made the whoel thing wider and he had it on all afternoon, I'd say nearly 4 hours and there was only a tiny bit of wicking after all that time so I'm convinced that you just need to go out to the edges with hh's!! He is in it now with a prefold whch seems to fit it really well and a mf cloth so we shall see after his nap!! Much happier about it though - hooray ! :D 8)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:11 pm

Does anyone have a hh own insert they could measure for me?

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:57 pm

I have a medium stuffin but it is busy whirling round in the machine right now!!!! :D

Will measure it when they have done :D

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:54 pm

Does that work well? Is it right to the edges of the hh? so want to crack these nappies as they are lovely!!

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:37 pm

The stuffin is 34cm long, 14cm wide at the narrow bit and eeewww hold on a moment there is biscuit on my tape measure!!!! Georgia was playing with it before, yuk :lol: :lol:

Sorry, back to the stuffin! It's 18cm wide at the widest point. Don't know how this compares to a large stuffin????

It works well in the medium heiny, haven't tried it in a large one.

Hope this helps, are you going to make some inserts?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:53 pm

Thanks for that Karen, yes I'm going to make some, I made loads of ones I based on the eh hemp they were so easy to do and they ended up costing about £1 each as apposed to £4.50! I've got another metre of hemp at mils and we are going back to the uk in april so will do sewing then!

How many layers are there in a stuffin? Is that the stuffing they recommend for HH's? Let me know how you get on with it in the large.

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies