hf1

why are my inserts repelling water?

My avatar
clumsymumsy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

why are my inserts repelling water?

Postby clumsymumsy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:39 pm

The microfibre inserst that came with my Nature Babies pocket DO NOT ABSORB AT ALL!!!
The water bounces right off them.
I have never used them, only washed them a few times with the nappies to try and get the fibres opened up. But they stil repel.
I sometimes use a couple of drops of tea tree oil in the pre-wash rinse cycle, could that be causing the problem? Or maybe a trace amount of cream from the diapers?? Or residue from the dryer? anybody else ever had this happen?
I have tried boiling in a pan with washing up liquid but still repels.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: why are my inserts repelling water?

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Could the problem be that your pockets aren't absorbant? Have you tried doing a strip wash. Actually just re-read your post so that isn't the problem!! Do you use bum cream with out an liner? I know creams can cause a build up and affect absorbancy there for you should always use a liner, Gracie has a sore bot just now so we always make sure there is a liner between bottom and nappy. Sorry I'm not much help, I'm sure one of the other guru's on here will be able to help, never had this problem with mf inserts but i don't really like using them! x

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:26 pm

I would try soaking them in a white vinegar solution, in case the issue is soapy build up. This should clear it nicely.

I can't suggest anything else as I've never had this issue.

My avatar
clumsymumsy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby clumsymumsy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:26 am

Will try the white vinegar, thanks!

My avatar
Sparkle
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Sparkle » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:38 am

Daft question I know but...have you tried wetting them with pressure on it? Many of my microfibre things seemed to repel water until I put them in the nappy and there was pressure on it to absorb.

Not sure if that makes any sense at all :oops: I have a super wriggly baby climbing on me right now as she won't be put down :roll:

My avatar
clumsymumsy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby clumsymumsy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:19 pm

Yes I have thought the answer could be something like this! I tried putting the insert on, under a prefold and it did absorb. I also tried the vinegar soak and it really seemed to help. maybe soap nuts and microfibre are not compatible? I washed in degergent last time as well.
Guess a new system takes some getting used to. I think we are getting there though. Thanks again!

My avatar
Sparkle
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Sparkle » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:07 pm

Glad it's starting to work for you. These things take some getting used to. :giggle: :hug:

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:31 pm

I got some microfibre cloths for cleaning with, and they are completely different from the microfibre that is in the microfibre inserts. Water just beads off them. I had just assumed I had bought cheap and nasty cleaning cloths :oops:

My avatar
SuSu79
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby SuSu79 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:03 pm

here we use some other fabric on top of microfibre inserts, like terry or cottonflannel..

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies