hf1

Lots of questions about inserts!

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Lots of questions about inserts!

Postby JennyPenny » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Hello. Right, I had more pockets than inserts (or ones that needed extra etc) so I ordered some from babykind which came this morning.

- I got some P'tits Dessous ones - they seem very thin? Hoping they will be absorbant enough for Elouise! And do you fold them in half I assume?
- I then ordered all sorts of different inserts to try from the bargain section - some only £1 each so thought it was a good chance to try them out. Will any insert fit any pocket nappy?

What materials are best for inserts? They are all different so I think I have a bit of each!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Lots of questions about inserts!

Postby Frances » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:52 pm

I haven't tried PD, but some general advice:

- most inserts will fit most nappies, with some exceptions - e.g. Starbunz can have very narrow openings so it's difficult to stuff wide inserts in
- the best inserts, in my opinion, are hemp and bamboo as they're super-absorbent, though can be slow to dry. I always top them with microfibre for day use though
- microfibre is absorbent and dries very quickly - but acts like a sponge - if it gets too full and a LO sits down heavily, wee is liable to squish out and escape (as I found once when Jasmine had a heavy session on the door bouncer :( :lol: )
Last edited by Frances on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:57 pm

Yes you fold them in half.
Its hard to say whats best when i'm not sure what you have.

I personally use the petit desous with a easy peasy hemp booster.

x

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:26 pm

my personal fave inserts for all my pocket nappies:

a ptits dessous bamboo folded in half with a microfibre insert (any will do!) on top (so the microfibre is the one closest to babys bum

or

a ptits dessous bamboo with a hemp insert but this time with the hemp on the bottom!

these combos rarely fail us :wink:

jan x

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:41 pm

clairelana wrote:Yes you fold them in half.
Its hard to say whats best when i'm not sure what you have.

I personally use the petit desous with a easy peasy hemp booster.

x

We use the same or easy peasy hemp under bamboo hourglass inserts from peachy cheeks. I tend not to use the microfibre inserts that came with our fuzzies as they are bulky instead I use mf dishcloths, just value ones from tesco but they work well and are much slimmer!!!

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:01 pm

Great thanks. What about for night time? I am still using disposables at night at the moment, which I hate but its only because we haven't found anything that doesn't leak yet. Elouise is quite a heavy wetter though - newborn will be in cloth I would think full time.

I will see if I can maybe copy and paste my invoice on here to say what I have got.

Does anybody know how many washes they should go through before use? And do I have to dry in between (I am too used to second hand!)

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:17 pm

This is what I have bought. Sorry it is a bit long!

Item: BARG4-K-16-5285 - Bargain - (K16) Mother ease Sandy's - XSmall - Natural
UnitPrice: £3.80
Quantity: 300

Item: BARG4-D-309-6272 - Bargain - (D309) Staffables by Nature Babies - Small - Pink Bubbles - Aplix
UnitPrice: £3.80
Quantity: 1

Item: BARG1-L-400-9243 - Bargain - (L400) Wonderfulls Micro-Terry Insert
UnitPrice: £0.95

Item: BARG1-L-401-9244 - Bargain - (L401) Wonderfulls Micro-Terry Insert

Item: BARG1-K-512-9363 - Bargain - (K512) Wonderfulls Micro Terry Insert

Item: BARG1-S-202-9204 - Bargain - (S202) Wonderfulls Micro Terry Insert - (Small Part)

Item: BARG2-K-517-9368 - Bargain - (K517) Swaddlebees Micro Terry Insert - Large
UnitPrice: £1.90

Item: BARG3-Y-1-5564 - Bargain - (Y1) Blueberry Combi ONE SIZE Insert
UnitPrice: £2.85

Item: BARG3-Y-2-5565 - Bargain - (Y2) Blueberry Combi ONE SIZE Insert

Item: BARG3-K-22-5290 - Bargain - (K22) P'tits Dessous booster - Size 1

Item: PDbI1 - Bamboo inserts - Size 1
UnitPrice: £3.56
Quantity: 5

Item: BOmesnapsd - Mother-ease Snap-in Boosters STAY-DRY (one size)
UnitPrice: £2.00
Quantity: 5

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:22 pm

And pocket wise I have:

Bumgenius
Minki
wee notion
Mommys touch
Wonderoo

I am sure I have others but can't think now! Those are the main ones we use anyway.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:26 pm

Anything with hemp or bamboo in - the p'tit dessous and the blueberry combo inserts will need at least 5 washes before they are up to full absorbency. The mf (microterry) inserts don't really need prewashing at all. You don't need to let them dry between washes either.

I wouldn't recommend using any of the mf inserts overnight on a heavy wetter. Minki pocket nappieswork well overnight as they hold loads of stuffing. We stuff ours with a trifold bamboo insert and 2 Ella's house hemp inserts and it lasts my 3 year old 12 hours. I would highly recommend buying a specific night nappy such as a Night Notions or Upsy Daisy night nappy and using wool over the top if you are having problems with pockets overnight.

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies