My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Leaks :(

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:03 pm

Afternoon all,

I put Iris in a BG at 9.30 am today, after breakfast. At 11.45, I changed her - since breakfast she'd had a slice of toast and a little water, nothing else. The BG was stuffed with the MF insert it came with (we have V2's, so just a single insert) and an EP hemp booster. Ordinarily, this combination happily lasts 3 hours. When I took the nappy off, Iris' vest was soaked. There was some wetness around her thighs, but the majority of the wetness was around her tummy, at the front.

I'm not sure what the problem might be? She's become a lot more mobile over the past couple of weeks (we've progressed from commando crawling to crawling on all fours) ... I don't think she has any more teeth coming through ...

Iris is only tiny (not even 16 and a half pounds yet), so I should have thought that this combo of substantial MF and hemp should last more than a little over 2 hours? Both inserts were absolutely sodden. Any insights would be gratefully received ...

Thanks!

Nichola

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Leaks :(

Postby JennyPenny » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:20 pm

I am new to pockets so in no means an expert but if the inserts were aboslutly soaked, then the leaks probably weren't the BG fault. Maybe she just had a particually wet morning. Had she had extra to drink? I would give them another go and see if it happens again. If it keeps happening though, seems like you might need an extra insert or booster.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:49 pm

No, it's not the BG. It's happened before with different nappies, although usually just around her thighs. This morning was particularly unusual as her tummy was so wet too. I think it's compression wicking, given how sodden the inserts were.

She'd not had any extra to drink.

I guess I'm just confused because it only happens sometimes. So I don't want to overstuff all my pockets unnecessarily. I don't want the extra washing! :hohoho: :oops: Nor to have to buy a load of extra boosters.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:55 pm

I find this with Lili too - sometimes she outwees a nappy that would normally last 4-5 hours in 2 hours. It doesn't happen often, I think it's easiest just to put up with having to change clothes every now and then than to add extra stuffing every time just in case! :wink:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:03 pm

rhead wrote:I find this with Lili too - sometimes she outwees a nappy that would normally last 4-5 hours in 2 hours. It doesn't happen often, I think it's easiest just to put up with having to change clothes every now and then than to add extra stuffing every time just in case! :wink:

That's good to know. It's reassuring that Iris isn't the only one. And I like your thinking, too - a woman after my own heart.

I guess some days you just pee more than others?! :giggle:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:05 pm

I hope it doesn't happen too much for you!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:20 pm

Hope it was a one-off. I had a similar problem with all of Katie's pockets the other day. We haven't had any problems since though.

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:08 pm

We have the odd morning when Nell seems to do a 'power wee' or two and has soaking inserts in a short time, but we don't normally get any leaks.

Have you got any bamboo inserts you could try with the EP hemp instead of the microfibre? Might not 'squish out' so easily :babyrolleyes:

Becky x

My avatar
clumsymumsy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby clumsymumsy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:14 pm

I heard something to the effect that as the babies get older (about 8 months if I remember right?) they get a little more bladder control which means they save up all the wee and then let it all go at once.
I noticed this with my DD later than 8 months. Now she is 14 months and one nappy will be almost dry after being on 3 hours, the next soaked after 90 min.
This means you have to either check more often how wet DD is (hard to do when they have all those winter clothes on) or just add extra padding anyway, even though there is a chance it will be dry when you take the nappy off.
Just experiment with adding a bit more padding and you will soon figure out how much you need to know the nappy is reliable!

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies