hf1

Using pockets for newborn - have a few questions!

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Using pockets for newborn - have a few questions!

Postby JennyPenny » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Hello. I am just stuffing all my pockets for Elouise (16 months) and Talia (5 days) and just wondering:

- Are BG the slimest fitting?
- Is Hemp ok on its own for newborns? I use Hemp for Elouise but she is a heavy wetter and hemp is just useless without being topped with something else, but thought it might be ok for newborns? I have some really small hemp inserts so thought they might do, but not much good if I have to have another insert on top as it would be too bulky?
- Does the insert in a newborn pocket need to go from front to back? Or is it ok just to have a small one in the middle (I have some small boosters etc).
- Any recomendations for best, slimest insert?
- WIll a MF cleaning cloth be ok on it's own?

Sorry to just ask questions, obviously have 2 babies to run off to...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Using pockets for newborn - have a few questions!

Postby Annette » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:16 pm

I was really impressed with the BG on Ben when he was born, I found them a really good fit and pretty slim. I just used the poppered down insert it came with (I have V2 so don't have the extra small insert). I also liked the Happy Heiny onesize. You could probably get slimmer fitting small sized pockets but you wouldn't gain alot and they would last like the bg.

As I said I just used (and still use) the mf insert for Ben he isn't a particularly heavy wetter, I also use hemp on it's own sometimes and haven't had any problems. The thing with hemp is that it is slow to absorb so can be a problem if they do a mega wee which then just sort of slides off the insert and leaks but I would have thought on a newborn you should be fine - it is a case of trial and error.

I wouldn't have thought a mf cloth would last long but you could put a couple together to make it last longer.

I always use inserts that fit all the way along as they might have a tendancy to move and risk leakage iygwim.

HTH

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:19 pm

A sized would be much slimmer than an OS, but as far as OS go I'd say BGs were one of the slimmest!
I wouldn't use hemp on it's own ever but that's just me!
An insert should fill most of a pocket, you may get leaks otherwise.
I would say anthing bamboo would be great, I liked bamboo squares for stuffing Summer's pockets.
Don't think 1 cloth would be enough .....

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes I meant to say we were only really using onesize as we use them on Elouise too.

Do you know how the mommys touch come up on a newborn? I am guessing they would be quite big?

My avatar
pookie3101
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby pookie3101 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:00 pm

for a onesize pocket I would say BG is smallest & trimmest on a newborn. Personally i wouldn't use just hemp in a pocket as it is slow to absorb, fine for boosting though. Bamboo or cotton terry or small m/f insert would probably be ok, just make sure if fills the pocket as you might get leaks otherwise.

I think a Mommy's Touch would come up bigger than the BG

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:29 pm

I've not had much luck with onesize pockets on Grace yet... My weenotions onesize is ok provided I barely stuff it... :?
A single 30cm terry 'square' - anymore and I can't get it to fit right...

We've had better success with sized pockets - a 30cm terry plus the small bit from a bamboo baby beehind...

Hanna has lent me some XS fuzzis and they are fab! With the tiny fuzzi insert plus a bamboo booster they are great...

And I just bought a small daisy print fuzzi too and although it's on the tightest settings (wonder which 7lbs baby they tested that on - no way it would fit!!) it didn't leak with just the insert though I will be lightly boosting...

I wouldn't use hemp on its own for Grace because I've seen the wees she does when she's on the changing mat and I'd worry it would run straight off... :?

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:38 pm

See, just goes to show how different babies are - I loved the bgs on Ben but really wasn't fussed about Fuzzis, they weren't bad but I didn't find them as good a fit and they wicked. Didn't try the WN OS back then as they weren't invented! but love them now.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:31 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
And I just bought a small daisy print fuzzi too and although it's on the tightest settings (wonder which 7lbs baby they tested that on - no way it would fit!!) it didn't leak with just the insert though I will be lightly boosting...

I think the old style came up smaller, Summer fitted in the smalls fairly early on, but she wouldn't have in the new style ones!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:24 pm

What about using a mf dishcloth ontop of the hemp, it will absorb the wee first without making the nappy bulky, tesco value ones are soo slim, I can still get away with using one of them and bamboo on Gracie for her morning nap!!

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies