My avatar
Zingylemontart
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover
Une bonne tarte francaise

Rise on nappies?

Postby Zingylemontart » Sun May 10, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi ladies

I'm a newcomer to pockets, and just wanted to ask - is the rise on cloth nappies less than disposables? My son is 12 weeks and 16lb 15oz, and has exceedingly chunky thighs. So far we have the Mothercare SmartNappy (try not to use it much as it leaks more often than not), a BG V3.0 (best so far, but he hasn't pooped in it yet!), a Wonderoo pocket OS, a TotsBots pocket OS and a Swaddlebees pocket OS. Could the leaks be due to me trying to get the nappies too high on his "waist", and consequently not getting them tight enough around the legs? I have the BG on the medium size, and it seems to be the only one that hasn't leaked at all, although the Wonderoo and Swaddlebees only leaked a tiny bit. The only one he has pooped in is the TB, and it went EVERYWHERE! :x

TIA

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Rise on nappies?

Postby Frances » Sun May 10, 2009 9:03 pm

It depends on a lot of things such as what brand dispicables you've been using, what weight range, and your LO's shape, but in general I do find that the rise on cloth nappies is quite a bit lower than dispicables - I'd guess more than an inch both front and back, as dispicables tend to go above her belly button while cloth nappies sit below this. When fastening cloth nappies, make sure that they're tight around your LO's legs AND waist - I promise, it can be done! I generally find that poppering onesize nappies low in the rise did the trick when my DD was younger. Hope you manage to sort the prob!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun May 10, 2009 9:09 pm

I haven't really thought about the difference in the rise. I would just say, make sure you fasten them securely, you should be able to run your finger around but not anymore iyswim. If the leaks are from the leg holes, then I would definately concentrate on getting the fit right there and not worry about the rise and see how you get on.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun May 10, 2009 9:24 pm

I agree with what everyone else has said, you will get the right fit eventually just need to keep trying :D and boy what a chunky lad you have, Summer is 15lb at 10 months :shock:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun May 10, 2009 9:58 pm

I would say cloth is def lower in the rise than dispicables. It is trial and error getting the right fit

My avatar
pookie3101
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby pookie3101 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Cloth fits different to disposables. Sposies are worn quite high up over belly button but most cloth will sit below. It can take a bit of getting used to & also trying to find a good fit. Make sure it's high enough that poo doesn't come straight out the back but you need a good fit round the legs.

My avatar
greenlindsayloris
Clothie
Clothie

Postby greenlindsayloris » Thu May 14, 2009 6:39 am

We've had much the same problems with leaks - usually up the back of the nappy. My daughter is 6 months and fairly chunky in the thighs and weighs around the same as your son. So far the best pockets I have found for containment have been Happy Heiny Onesize and GreenKids. Otherwise a reliable two part is a sandy's and an airflow wrap. Hope you find one that works soon :)

My avatar
fleur08
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby fleur08 » Thu May 14, 2009 9:17 am

how about trying a medium fuzzibunz?
i found these great as you can adjust the waist & leg poppers to fit, were on tightest waist poppers & loosest leg ones at 9 months & 19lb so am sure they would fit your chunky monkey :lol:

My avatar
Zingylemontart
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover
Une bonne tarte francaise

Postby Zingylemontart » Fri May 15, 2009 9:38 pm

Thanks ladies.

Fleur - I've been looking at the FuzziBunz. I might get a couple of each of those and the BG, and see which is the most successful. Just have to persuade DH to part with our hard earned cash, now.... :giggle:

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies