Leaking BG's

My avatar
clemmypie
Clothie
Clothie

Leaking BG's

Postby clemmypie » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:34 pm

I am having real problems with my BG's at the moment. :evil:
My daughter has constantly wet trousers. They are leaking around the legs and when I look at the outside of the BG it is wet. I already boost them with a fleece booster ( mainly little lamb inserts). Is it that I am just leaving them too long? Got the fit wrong ( they do seem to gape a bit around the bottom of her thighs when she sits - but I also have a "mark" where they go round her leg!)? Could the outer wrap have lost it's waterproofness?
I have a mixture of preloved and new ones but not sure which are which to be honest :oops:

I have one hemp booster which I currently use at night as a booster - maybe I should try that during the day?

The thing is she is still only 15lb 7oz at 8 months and I don't want to bulk her up too much. I have 2 BB's and they are just too bulky and stiff on her.

How long should I expect from them? I am not sure if she is a heavy wetter or not.

I am not in a position to spend lots more money but would be open to maybe trying a different type - or some slim fit boosters.

Thanks for your help

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Leaking BG's

Postby emmajayne33 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:46 pm

Microfibre inserts are not the most absorbent of inserts, I prefer to use an easy peasy hemp booster and a P'tits Dessous bamboo inserts they last a good while and they are slim but super absorbent. I change my daughter every 3-4 hours.

Maybe your BG's need stripping? That may help with their absorbency.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:51 pm

clemmypie wrote:I already boost them with a fleece booster ( mainly little lamb inserts).

Fleece isn't absorbent hun so won't improve the performance of them at all...

I would definately boost with hemp as at 15months just the microfibre isn't really enough...
Look for hemp jersey boosters as they are very slim and one MF insert plus a hemp jersey one shouldn't be bulky at all... (such as easy-peasy hemp, severals stores sell them I believe as well as easy peasy themselves but they're on holiday right now)

You don't say how long they're on for...

They should last 3-4hours really

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:54 pm

By the time Iris was 8 months old, I was having to boost a BG with an Easy Peasy hemp booster in order to make them last 3 hours. (Just out of curiosity, what are the fleece boosters? Do you mean a fleece topped booster?) EP hemp boosters are £2 each directly from EP. :) If you think the PUL needs resealing, you could pop them in a tumble dryer on low for 10 minutes.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:12 am

Our BG's also started leaking all the time when my daughter turned 8 months...we had used them from 5-6 weeks with no problems at all...

My Ds is 9 weeks old today and when he is in a BG he had a bamboo insert and an easy peasy jersey hemp insert...that still only lasts him 3 hours MAX.

Deffinatly ditch the microfiber and use bamboo/hemp :) I got the easy peasy hemp inserts direct from easy peasy too and they were £10 for 5 including delivery!! :)

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Easy Peasy Hemp are great for adding decent absorbancy!! Babykind do them now @ £2 each and send things out really quickly :D

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby cherobanne » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Another vote for the easy peasy hemp!

I'd also try a quick blast in the tumbler on low like Nichola suggested.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:39 pm

Another one for easy peasy as well, fleece won't help things at all. You could try strip washing as well to see if that helps. Our DD is only 19lbs at 15 months so she has always been skinny and we have never had any issues with any nappies. Fc you get things sorted soon. xx

My avatar
clemmypie
Clothie
Clothie

Postby clemmypie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:01 pm

Thank you so much everyone - sorry for late reply - I thought I would get a message when I had a reply - but I think I had turned it off. :oops:

I have washed my nappies with no powder ( that is stripping isn't it?) the last few days and will buy some hemp boosters - I am guessing this goes on top of the BG insert? I will give the covers a go in the tumble dryer I tend to line dry or radiator dry (but over a rail) and then let you all know.

As for length of time I am lucky to get 2-3 hours out of them!!

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies