Bumgenious organic one size query

My avatar
SusanKP
Clothie
Clothie

Bumgenious organic one size query

Postby SusanKP » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:29 am

Hello,

I am very new to cloth nappies and just recently purchased the bumgenious organic one size cloth nappies. I am slightly confused as to what I need as I purchased a starter kit that included 12 nappies, and eenees liners (bulk roll). I did not realise that the nappies come with inserts so I purchased bumgenious microfibre (one size) 6 pack inserts. I also purchased the little squirt.

Do I really need the microfibre inserts? What would they be best for (i.e for the night)?
Whats the difference with the eenees liners and the inserts that come with the nappy and the microfibre inserts that I purchased?
Do I need anything else?
What would you suggest to wipe the bubs bottom with thats environmentally friendly as I forgot about it when I purchased the above and where should I buy this online?
I did not buy a wet bag and realise I should have after I have purchased the above. Do you have any suggestions on a wet bag considering on the purchases I made above.
Is there anything else I need to know?

Thank you in advance..

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Bumgenious organic one size query

Postby Pinchette » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:41 am

Hi,
I've only ever owned one Bumgenius nappy so I'm sure others will be able to advise better. They're fantastic nappies by the way really trim. The liners are there to catch the poos and protect the nappies from too much stains. So you line it and when you change baby, you just throw away the liner.
I'm not sure about the extra mf inserts to be honest, you could try them as an extra booster at night like you said but I'm not sure whether the nappy will have the room for extra boosting as I remember mine to be quite tight. So you could always re-sell them.
As for wipes, you can purchase some or you can make your own by just cutting some squares or fleece for example and then you can make your own wipe solution, there are recipes elsewhere on this forum. (Or again you can buy little cubes that you just dissolve in water)
Any wetbag will do and you can purchase them from most online retailers (babykind, twinkleontheweb, bumfluff to cite a few).
You may want to buy some essential oils like lavender and teatree for when you drypail your nappies or to put in the rinse cycle.
Have you got a nappy bin? You'll need one to store used nappies between washes. mmmh, what else, some washing powder is better than liquid or gel. Bold to in one is quite good.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:05 am

There are 2 types of Bumgenius onesize nappies - the pocket nappies and the organic ones which you have bought.

The pocket ones have a waterproof outer and suedecloth inner, between which you put the microfibre inserts that you talk about which is the absorbent bit.

The organic ones have a waterproof outer and then the abosrobent bit is laid on the inside so you do not need the microfibre ones you have bought, although I guess you could add them to increase the absorbency

The liners you have are for catching the poo and putting in the toilet, although you could swap these for fleece liners instead which are washable and act as a stay dry layer.

In terms of wipes, you can either buy nice specially made wipes from places like Wee notions or you can just buy some cheap face cloths which work well and use either plain water or a specially made up solution you can buy

For a wet bag, check out the Wee Notions ones or the Blueberry ones, I know people have raved about them. I have a Mommy's Touch one which I really like as it has a zip closure and a little handle.

Hope this helps. Anymore questions just ask

My avatar
SusanKP
Clothie
Clothie

Postby SusanKP » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:18 am

Thank you very much..

So all I really need is the wetbag and a really good laundry bucket. I have one but rather keep that for clothes.My nappies have not arrivedyet and wish to be armed with all the answers so I do not ruin anything

A couple of last questions:

Can you wash soiled baby clothes in with the nappies to try and make a bigger load, with wshable wipes and liners?
Do I really need liners or are the ones inside the nappy fine by themselves? I understand that liners are good for quickly catching the poo and will use them but lets say the poo does hit the nappy does it ruin quickly? Would you suggest to try and use a liner always?
If bubby gets nappy rash or thrush then will the nappies get ruin if I use the creams? I heard you should place something between the bubby and the nappy is the liner fine to use? I understand the liner will help with nappy rash too?

Lastly, do you know of a good australian website that sells washable liners?

I have cheap facecloths that I will use for wipes and wil buy some good facecoths for his face and hands so I can distinguish between the two.

Thank you for all your help.

Susan

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:04 am

You can wash clothes with nappies, I personnally don't because I have enough nappies for a load.
If you do decide to wash nappies and clothes together, I 'd personally put the nappies through a rinse cycle before adding the rest of the clothes, it will avoid the hot water setting the smell and stains of the nappies.
The liners will probably be useful in the early days. I don't use them anymore. You can buy either paper liners, fleece ones or silk ones (alledgelly good for nappy rash)
Some creams can stain the nappies but most will go away in the wash, in the sun or with a good dose of oxyclean.

My avatar
alemum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby alemum » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:03 am

I have never used BG as we have always used wonderoos as our main nappy and assumed that the BG was a copy with velcro, the new BG dosent look to bad how do they compare to wonderoos then?

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:53 am

BG are much trimmer than wonderoos.

My avatar
alemum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby alemum » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Pinchette wrote:BG are much trimmer than wonderoos.

would this mean it would not fit a bigger child then?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:40 pm

alemum wrote:
Pinchette wrote:BG are much trimmer than wonderoos.

would this mean it would not fit a bigger child then?

Not necesarrily, trimness shouldn't affect the sizing of a pocket IMO, I've never tried a wonderoo and BGs wouldn't fit Jak, but he never fitted in any OS nappies really

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies