My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

BG - do I give up??

Postby sim » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:44 pm

I love our BG for their convenience and slim fit but I'm still struggling with absorbancy. I'm so disappointed as they were so highly recommended.
I've stripped them and bought PD bamboo inserts, but today my 15 week old out-weed a BG with a PD and an EP hemp in just under 3 hours. He is about 13lbs and reasonably long and slim, the nappy was poppered to the smallest size and leaked at one leg and up the back. When I pulled the nappy apart the inserts were damp but not soaking wet.

Am I expecting too much time from these nappies? Am I fitting / stuffing them wrong? On the second size the legs seem loose / rise too high up over his belly button) so I've stayed on the smaller size. Do I give up and switch completely to fitteds? I have Tots Bots applix size 1 and nippa size 2 (I can fold the size 2s down to fit him, and I can't get our EP boosters to fit in the size 1s - they are too wide and hang out at the leg hole :-? )

Please help!!!

Simone
xx

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: BG - do I give up??

Postby flutterby » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:48 pm

Oh no, sorry to hear your having problems, are the inserts totally soaked or just damp, if they are damp then there is a problem with the nappies or the fit IYKWIM if they are soaked there's just not enough absorbency, have you tried using 2 EP hemp in it, or is that waaaay to bulky on him?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:49 pm

Which way are you layering the bamboo and hemp?? If the inserts arnt soacking wet then i dont think absorbancy is the problem...

My LO is 11 weeks old tomorow and he goes 3 hours MAX with a bamboo and a EP hemp...any longer and it leaks out of all the holes!!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Gaah, ignore me, I should really read more carefully, have you tried tumbling the outers to reset the PUL??

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Site Supporter

Postby sim » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:23 pm

Hanna, would I do that on low or high heat? They've been 'finished off' a couple of times in the drier but only 15 mins on low to take out the 'end of line dry dampness' on yucky days. I could prob add another EP, but I don't really think this is an absobency problem anymore. I just can't figure out what else to do with the fit. The inserts do tend to bunch up a little between his legs. Might this be the problem? What should the 'geography' of a BG be on him?

megansmummy - bamboo on top of hemp. I've got large PD, so I fold the extra down at the front, boy styley.

Perhaps I just need to up the frequency of nappy changes... lazy mummy.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:41 pm

You'd want them on low so that's not going to make any difference if you already do it!

How often are you changing, they should last 3-4 hrs easily so I don't think you should need to change more often!

Could be that the bumching is causing a problem, especially if it's causing a poor fit, however those inserts fit beautifully in my BGs so it much be him making them bunch, does that make any sense??

Are they sopping at the front, or just damp all through?? Where exactly are they leaking?

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Site Supporter

Postby sim » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:27 pm

I change with each feed - so every three hours. The inserts fit well until the nappy has been on a while - they tend to bunch between the legs at the front (in the critical location for a boy I guess). They are sopping at the front half and then slightly damp the rest of the way round. The leaks are at the front of the leg hole. Perhaps I could fold more of the PD to the front...

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:38 pm

I think 3 hours is pretty reasonable for a pocket :oops:, especially as he's presumably still EBF/formula fed.

I find both PD and EP inserts super wide - you might have fewer bunching problems if you switched to a narrower insert? We get on well with BBOS combo inserts in just about any pocket, and they're very bunch-resistant :giggle:. Not sure they'd help you get past 3 hours, but they might be more comfortable for your LO!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:40 am

That's what we used to get with Jak, does sound like you need more boosting to the front, if thats not possible then you may have to switch to fitteds!

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies