Hi Newbie with a couple of questions...

My avatar
lisadainty
Clothie
Clothie

Hi Newbie with a couple of questions...

Postby lisadainty » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi
I'm new to the cloth nappy world and am waiting for a 10 day trial through my council (coming this Wednesday) for my 8 week old baby boy (Alexander) and my 21 month old Joshua.
While I've been waiting for my trial I've bought 2 BG's V2 and 1 fuzzi bunz both birth to potty, both second hand, and 2 Mothercare smart nappies brand new. I have had no problems with the smart nappies and have been using the disposible inserts and the reusable inserts too, which have both been great.

When my Fuzzi Bunz and BG's arrived I washed them as per instructions and was soo excited to start using them.

I put 2 inserts (what came with it) into the fuzzi and placed it on Alex, it was far to bulky, I couldn't fasten his vest. He's 11lbs now. So I took one insert out and it fit lovely, I was soo pleased, but it only lasted just over an hour and half and it leaked I assume out of the legs as his vest was soaked on the sides :-(
Is this because I only used 1 insert? And what can I do to stop this?

As for the BG's I tried them on Alex and I couldn't get it to fit properly on him, to start with they gaped at the front so I tightened it up, then checked the back and sides and found I could fit my hand through the gapes in the legs :-(
Am I doing something wrong?

I was told that BG's were one of the best and have read so many rave reviews on them.

Is it me, or are they just no good for Alex and would he be better off with a fitted 2 part nappy?

What can you recommend?

Help please. (And soorry for the essay.)

Lisa
xx

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Hi Newbie with a couple of questions...

Postby twinkletot » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Hiya :idea: ,
I have never used fuzzis but use BG's. Which setting are you using them on. If they are gaping them that much at the legs you might need to take him down a size (eg large to medium) using the snaps at the front?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi
I assume the insert you used in the fuzzi was microfibre? MF squishes out the wee so you need something else more absorbant underneath like bamboo or hemp. Easy Peasy hemp inserts are brill and are nice and slim.
Can't offer any advice on the BG i'm afraid as we have never tried them but I'm sure some one else will. Stick with it, it is all a mid of a mine field at first and seems confusing but is an addictive doddle when you get the hang of it. xx

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:11 am

Hi, i have a 5 month old boy and have been using cloth on him from birth, to be honest, i found all BTP nappies an awful fit when he was newborn, so i had fitteds which were much better, I had numerous leaks with pockets until he was 3 -4 months old, now i love them. Try a more absorbant stuffing,bamboo or hemp, as microfibre never worked for me.
I know this seems obvious but make sure everything is pointing south , if you know what i mean :wink: ,especially if the legs gap. How about laying a thin booster on top of the lining in the nappy , if you dont mind the nappy not being stay-dry.
Consider may be getting a few preloved size 1 fitted, little lamb or TB bamboo are great.
I hope any of this helps Tracy x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:38 am

lisadainty wrote:When my Fuzzi Bunz and BG's arrived I washed them as per instructions and was soo excited to start using them.

I put 2 inserts (what came with it) into the fuzzi and placed it on Alex, it was far to bulky, I couldn't fasten his vest. He's 11lbs now. So I took one insert out and it fit lovely, I was soo pleased, but it only lasted just over an hour and half and it leaked I assume out of the legs as his vest was soaked on the sides :-(
Is this because I only used 1 insert? And what can I do to stop this?

We don't get on at all with MF inserts and get leaks if we use them. I'd try stuffing them with bamboo and hemp. We use P'tit Dessous and Easy Peasy bamboo inserts on top of Easy Peasy hemp inserts in all our pockets.

As for the BG's I tried them on Alex and I couldn't get it to fit properly on him, to start with they gaped at the front so I tightened it up, then checked the back and sides and found I could fit my hand through the gapes in the legs :-(
Am I doing something wrong?

It sounds like you might need to adjust the rise settings on the BG. It is also possible that he is between the small and medium rise settings i.e you need the higher rise to get the waist to fit but will get leg gapes.

What can you recommend?

Personally I only used fitteds and wraps on my 3 when they were tiny as they're better for holding in newborn bf poo. We moved to pockets and AI2s once we started weaning. Others have successfully used BGS from birth though. When Katie was small we used a mixture of diddy diapers, sandies, bimbles, WeeNotions Northern Lights (all fitted nappies) with Motherease and WeeNotions wraps.

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies