hf1

BG question

My avatar
Lynni
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

BG question

Postby Lynni » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:18 pm

My friend is using BG and isn't getting on with them.... She is only using the insert that comes with the nappy, no liner and no extra stuffing - would this be why she is changing so frequently? We went out this afternoon, she changed her before we left my house and as soon as we came back, where as my lo was in a MEOS with fleece liner and airflow wrap for approx 3 hrs and was quite happy.

She has given me a couple to try, told me I can't use liners as it affects the nappy?! Not sure what to do with them as we havent got any in our collection....

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: BG question

Postby twinkletot » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Lynni wrote:She has given me a couple to try, told me I can't use liners as it affects the nappy?! Not sure what to do with them as we havent got any in our collection....

:-? . I use fleece liners in mine and it doesn't affect the nappy at all. In fact I use them in all my nappies!!
Maybe she needs to try stuffing with hemp or bamboo instead of (or with) the microfibre inserts it comes with.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:26 pm

twinkletot wrote:
Lynni wrote:She has given me a couple to try, told me I can't use liners as it affects the nappy?! Not sure what to do with them as we havent got any in our collection....

:-? . I use fleece liners in mine and it doesn't affect the nappy at all. In fact I use them in all my nappies!!
Maybe she needs to try stuffing with hemp or bamboo instead of (or with) the microfibre inserts it comes with.

WSS. We use fleece or minkee liners in all our nappies, even those that already have a stay dry layer. The mf insert that comes with BG's isn't very asorbent at all. I'd tell your friend to get some bamboo or hemp inserts to go under the MF inserts. Easy Peasy nappies make both bamboo and hemp inserts and they are both way more absorbent.

My avatar
Lynni
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Lynni » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:31 pm

Thanks girls, this is what I thought.... I have some hemp inserts in my own collection so might try one to see how we get on with them.

They don't need anything else doing to them? Just stuffing with bamboo or hemp?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:35 pm

If they're not leaking then just adding the extra inserts should help them to last longer.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:35 pm

Hi Lynni!
BGs are our bog standard daddy proof nappies and we really like them now.
The insert that comes with a BG is microfibre, which isn't very absorbant and wee tends to squish out of it. I stopped using them a while ago (thanks to excellent advice from here after having problems with leaks / poor absorbancy). I now use bamboo inserts on top of easy peasy hemp boosters instead and I can now easily get 3 hours out of them for my heavy wetting little boy.
You don't need liners for absorbancy. You could use a paper liner for easy poo disposal if you wanted to, though I don't as any stains wash or sun out. (See ladies.... I have been listening :D :giggle: )

It is also worth checking which size setting the nappy is on and that the fit around the legs is snug. If it is gaping at the leg try going back a size on the setting or using slimmer inserts as too much stuffing can cause the nappy to be 'pushed out' away from the legs.

Hope this load of waffle helps!

My avatar
Cadiva
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Cadiva » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:41 pm

I've used my BGs since I got them with a fleece and/or paper liner in and with an additional Easy Peasy hemp booster behind the microfleece.

They are our workhorse every day nappy and they're brilliant. I have the applix ones and they're starting to curl a bit but still uber sticky.

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:53 pm

My BG comes with two inserts? I always use a liner but never add anything extra to it and they last about 3 hours.

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies