Help: Small baby & heavy wetter!

My avatar
menina
Clothie
Clothie

Help: Small baby & heavy wetter!

Postby menina » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:20 pm

I hope somebody can helpe me out.
I'm tearing my hair out from desperation! Often I end up using disposables cause I cannot bear the thought of having to change my baby's clothes completely for the nth time in a day! :gaah:

Here's our stash: FuzziBunz Small, FuzziBunz BTP, Bumgenius BTP, Totbots Bamboozle Size 1. We also have some shaped two-part nappies :Swaddlebees Organic Velour for Newborn and BTP, Little Lamb Cotton Small with wraps Blueberry Minki, Little Lamb and Motherease.
I often stick to the pocket nappies if I can.

Basically my little girl was born quite thin and long (6lb 2oz by 53.5cm). We started using cloth nappies around week 3/4 and they seemed to be doing ok - performing just as well as disposables. My baby is now 12 weeks and not only is she still quite thin and long, but for the part 2/3 weeks she's starting peeing like there's no tomorrow!

Her legs are thin so it seems like pee is just coming out directly from the side of the leg without having the chance to even be absorbed because it doesn't seem to be tight enough.
In the FuzziBunz SMALL even tighetening to the max doesn't seem to be tight enough, and it's supposed to be a SMALL! I have a hard time tightening well any of the nappies with Velcro (If I tighten to the max, it seems like she can't breathe round her tummy while her leg holes are still too wide!).
I like FuzziBunz BTP cause they have so many settings and the legs feel quite secure, but now those have started leaking too (within 2 hrs!) - I tried to add more inserts but she is only a little baby and it seems to make it really tight round her tummy for her (apart from not fitting into any of her clothes anymore!). n.b. I only have inserts that came with the nappies themselves, muslins, and small towels from ikea.
Now quite sure what I can do apart from changing her every hour, but that would be madness! :shock: :(

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Re: Help: Small baby & heavy wetter!

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:29 pm

You could try some new inserts. Hemp is very absorbent, but not too bulky. Easy Peasy do boosters very cheaply that can be used behind something quick absorbing (I prefer bamboo to microfibre for my heavy wetter).

I found FB nappies quite generous - the small still fit my DD (with growing room!) when I sold them on a month or so ago. :shock:

My avatar
menina
Clothie
Clothie

Postby menina » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks for the tip. :D I do have some hemp boosters that I use in night nappies so I might give them a go during the day as wlel and see how I get on.
Should I use the normal insert PLUS the hemp of just the hemp?

And I've been reading other posts and it seems like people suggest heavy wetters are better in fitted+wrap-type cloths, rather than pockets. Is that so? If so, can someone recommend some good wraps for thin legs? cause most of the wraps I have are also too baggy at the legs right now, which has been putting me off using them. :|

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:47 pm

I cant help re: the wraps and leg gaping, as I have the opposite problem for Dawnie (18 inch thighs! :shock: ) but I agree with the hemp reccomendation. I love my hemp boosters and need more!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:34 am

Are the inserts saturated when you take the nappy off? If not it is likely the fit that's the problem rather than your LO just outpeeing them. If you can get some XS Fuzzis they'll probably fit better than the smalls. Also, MF is not recommended for heavy wetters - a combination of bamboo and hemp inserts would probably be better for you. They are far more absorbent and are still fairly slim fitting.

Fitted nappies are more absorbent than pockets so will definitely last your LO longer. What wraps are you using with them? When DD was tiny I used XS Rikki and Wee Notions wraps and then moved onto S Rikkis, Wee Notions and Nature Babies.

My avatar
menina
Clothie
Clothie

Postby menina » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:09 pm

My baby has caught a cold so been rather busy (I've got a cold too). :(

I think I must have both problems: some nappies like FuzziBunz Small simply have too wide a leg, while with FuzziBunz BTP I think I'm saturating the inserts (they are completely soaked within 2 hrs).

Im going to start experimenting with what I've got to see what I need to buy! Starting with FuzziBunz BTP, which are the best fit I have (I think!), I am trying:
1) a combination of microterry insert plus bamboo
2) a combination of microterry plus hemp
3) a combination of bamboo + hemp -- this one gives the thickest combination so if I cvan get away with one of the others I'd be pleased cause she already looks like she is swamped by the nappy with combinations 1 or 2!

So what am I to do with nappies that are too wide around the legs? I would like to buy more nappies but how do I find out which nappies are suitable for babies with skinny legs?
I really thought cloth nappies would be easier than this! :|

With the fitted I have these wraps:
Blueberry Minky wrap Small - but if I put an extra insert in the nappy then the legs don't seem to close properly (the elastic doesn't really go far enough)
Little Lamb Small - this is ok but I don't like velcro much
Naturebabies Small - this one is the best I have
I also have some mediums but they only work for night nappies

thanx ever so much for your help so far!

My avatar
menina
Clothie
Clothie

Postby menina » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:00 pm

ok so FuzziBunz BTP with microterry + hemp leaked within 2 hours - was completely soaked through especially at the front. But the leak wasn't too bad, only the bodysuit was slightly damp near one leg.

Now on microterry + bamboo... let's see how it goes!

My avatar
menina
Clothie
Clothie

Postby menina » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 pm

ok, microterry+ bamboo no good either! :x To be honest the inserts were both soaked through in the middle section, but not so much on the front/back, but it still leaked. Don't think it's a fit problem cause I tightened the legs really well (perhaps too much, I was almost scared I was hurting her!) :-?
Perhaps I need to stuff in the middle more and less at the edges? (fold one insert so it's just in the middle?)

Anyhow, now on bamboo + hemp. Hope this works better!

My avatar
TheNatty
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby TheNatty » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:27 pm

i found with my heavy wetter, the pockets just dont do us long enough, we have the same problem with leaks after only 2 hours. we also dont get on with AIO or AI2!
definatly go with 2 part systems, and try to buy fitteds that are bamboo or hemp. the best soultion by far with us was tots bots size 2 bamboozles poppered, as you can fold the front down and use from birth. one of these with a single easy peasy hemp insert will also last my heavy wetting 2 year old up to 6 hours. (car journeys, i promise i dont leave her for 6 hours normally!! :wink: )
from a money pov they are brilliant. one lot of nappies, and u wont have to replace them when you lo outgrows them.
amazon do good value day packs, also quite cheap preloved.

now wraps. i found motherease the most reliable, tho i love my weenotions ones. i also have tots bots wraps which i must say are very good too.
if you have a leg fitting problem go for poppered not velcro legs as they tend to have separte leg and waist fitting, velcro doesnt.
so my advice for wraps would be : ME airflow, naturebabies(these come up quite small) weenotions, onelife poppered, and anyothers you can find poppered! (blank mind!)

also i know some people find it dauting, but have you considered wool? we get far less leaks with wool the pul.

HTH :D

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies