hf1

Help!! Newbie stupid Q re. BB inserts

My avatar
quinnsfluffybum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Help!! Newbie stupid Q re. BB inserts

Postby quinnsfluffybum » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:09 pm

I've just tried my first pocket (large WN SS) on my 11 month old son. I used a large BB insert, but it leaked out one of the legs really quickly. Are the sized BB inserts the same absorbency as the OS inserts? (It was pre washed 4 times before using it.) I did try putting a swaddlebees hemp booster in too, but it made it feel really bulky so I took it out before I put it on him.

I've also got P'tit Dessous bamboo inserts & swaddlebees hemp boosters to try out - i'm going to give these a try tomorrow to see if they work better for us!
I've also ordered some Ella's House hemp inserts & WN boosters (hemp & bamboo).

Been using a large WNAI2 & this works fine so I think it must be the stuffing, not the fit of the nappy.

Please help...I feel like a right numpty & I have no clue what I'm doing!! :giggle:

Karen

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Help!! Newbie stupid Q re. BB inserts

Postby tracedw » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Hope i can give you some tips. Firstly make sure that the microfibre layer is uppermost, this is a faster absorbing layer than hemp. Hemp may also take a few more washes to get up to full absorbancy. I have both sizes of BB inserts and do find that the OS lasts longer than the large.
Also with a boy, i have 3, make sure that everything is pointing south IYNWIM :-?
Hopefully you may have more luck with the p`tits dessous tomorrow, i have these also and they work very well.
When i started using pockets it took me a while to find the right combo of inserts , i had leaks all the time and had to stop using them for a while and even sold some out of frustration.
Also, i don`t use pockets in the morning, my ds is a heavy feeder :bf: and wetter at this time and so use fitteds and wool in the morning until we go out and then use pockets, its what suits us. Hope this helps
Tracy x
Also ,when you layer the inserts , always make sure that hemp is under the bamboo insert, hemp is the slowest to absorb.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:10 am

Was it fastened tightly enough around the leg? There have been discussions of wee running right out the leg hole on fitteds :shock:, if there happened to be a bit of gaping and it all came in a flood :giggle:. Also, if it was a new pocket, sometimes it helps to give it a spin in the tumble dryer to seal up any pin holes in the leg seams.

The other thing with sized Blueberry inserts is that they have quite a thick layer of microfibre, which is prone to having the wetness squeezed out of it - it may be that he did a huge wee then sat down and squished it all out the side(s). This doesn't really happen with other materials, so you may have better luck with your other inserts!

My avatar
quinnsfluffybum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby quinnsfluffybum » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:16 pm

Thanks for the tips!
Not able to try it out for long today as Quinn decided to do a poo about 10 mins after I changed him (what is it about a nice fresh nappy that makes them want to poo in it??) - but I'll try out the suggestions tomorrow.

Karen xx

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies