hf1

Aaarrgh! Pockets - what should I do?

My avatar
busybee
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Aaarrgh! Pockets - what should I do?

Postby busybee » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:46 am

I need some advice please! I really want to try a pocket nappy, mainly because they are so cute, and also because I think it will be easier for OH and childminder. The problem is my friend has put me off by saying they all wick round the legs, so DDs clothes will get wet. Do you guys find this happens? I am now nervous about trying them, especially as it means buying them at a time when we are a bit skint and they might not work. What do you find works? Is wicking inevitable?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Aaarrgh! Pockets - what should I do?

Postby Louise » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:58 am

Pockets will only wick around the edge if you haven't used enough/the correct stuffing for your LO's needs or if they aren't changed often enough. A fair number of pockets come with microfibre inserts which can be prone to wicking. When they are saturated the liquid tends to squish out when compressed. I use a combination of bamboo and hemp in my pockets and we don't have any wicking issues. I do find however that Katie needs changing more frequently when she's wearing a pocket - approx 2-2.5 hours compared to 3-3.5 in a fitted with wool.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:59 am

Also don't go for a cotton print one as they wick more easily...

My avatar
mammymade
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mammymade » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:08 pm

all of my nappies have fleece inside and either fleece or pul outside and these do not wick, just make sure you go for something similar and you will be fine

x

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:22 pm

we use pockets almost 99% of the time without problems. There are a number of factors as to whether they work and for some people they just don't - this can be down to the shape of the pocket, the fact their lo is a heavy wetter or the material of the pocket or insert.

The safest pocket to go for initially to try is something with a plain pul outer that is very adjustable - so something like a BG, which is BTP, many people find these are reliable. They come with a mf insert which some don't find absorbent enough so you might find you need to add something extra like a hemp booster.

If you want to try one though, go for it and see if they work, like I say we use them all the time, apart from some fitteds at night and we don't have any problems - it opens up a world of fancy fabrics and embroidery for showing off if you find they work and as you say, can be easier for others to use.

Let us know how you get on.

My avatar
alwaysagirly
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby alwaysagirly » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:27 pm

my pockets wicked horribly at first, but once i changed what i stuffed them with we have no issues

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:04 am

we use all pockets and a few ittis, and never really had a problem. My lo isn't a particulaly heavy wetter and we manage 3+ hours just using the bg big insert, we've not had to use the newborn insert with it yet. I love them so easy to use even dh can understand them, there's been quite a few bg on classifieds recently so you should be able to get one pretty cheap, i'd get one and give it a go
xx

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:06 am

we sometimes use pockets, not often though as we have bad wicking issues and they really do need changing more often imo, we found not using poppered vests helped stop some wicking, but we nearly always use wool now. it's just easier. there really is magic to it :wink:

My avatar
Bee
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Bee » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:34 pm

We use pockets and AIOs/AI2s most of the time and the only time we have wicking is when his vest ends up tucked inside the legs.

We now but him in ones that don't have the poppers

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies