Nightmare!!! Leaking WN...

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Nightmare!!! Leaking WN...

Postby Cyrillia » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:23 pm

Hey all,

I've been having trouble with my WN OS nappies leaking, and thought it was due to the BBOS inserts I was using. I had been using Fairy as I thought it would be better for DS's skin, but found out at the time it contains a softening agent. Stripped the nappies and inserts, but it didn't work.

Invested in some bamboo GK inserts, pre-washed them and put them on DS for the first time today, with the top bamboo layer folded to give extra layers in the wetzone - BUT it leaked in a mere hour! DS is only 14m, so I wouldn't have thought he's a gargantuan wee'er just yet, although he probably is doing big ones. I'm just at a loss! If I can't get this leaking problem sorted DH is starting to say he wants us to change to 'sposies as we're having to change DS's trousers at almost every nappy change! :shock:

What do you think? I was using the bamboo insert on its' own, so perhaps could have done with some MF on top, but if I keep adding layers poor DS is going to be waddling!

Maybe I need to go to something like bamboozles, but don't really want to do that if I can help it as wraps ALWAYS leave DS with huge whelts around his thighs. :(

Sarah
x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Nightmare!!! Leaking WN...

Postby Louise » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:19 pm

Are the inserts saturated when you take the nappy off? Could your LO possibly have changed shape so the nappies don't fit so well atm? We had problems with leg gape and leaking in our WNOSs for a while. Also, we have never been able to use MF in our pockets as we get compression wicking. Not sure why you're getting leaks with the bamboo inserts unless they need prewashing and/or boosting until they're up to full absorbency. I find a combination of bamboo and hemp work well in our WN pockets.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Try giving the nappies a 10 min go in the tumble dyer on hot to seal any wee holes that might be in the pul. I think you perhaps need something else like some hemp as well. You lo could have started to hold his wee in a bit longer so possibly flooding

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:48 pm

I found this when I first used WNOS with poppers.
I changed to aplix fastening and got a much better fit.

I also found if I use microfibre I get leaks in most nappies it seems to squish out.
I never got on with my BBOS inserts either. Kaydi is a heavy wetter and the only combination of inserts we could use were, petit dessous (sp? Any help anyone) bamboo inserts and easy peasy hemp boosters.

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:42 pm

petite dessous and easy peasy is a really good combo to use :wink:

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:50 pm

Thanks both, I'm not sure what the problem is but the insert was completely saturated as well as the leaking. The leaking was all towards the front too so I think it really could be a case of him holding onto it, then flooding the nappy. I thought a layer of MF as a topper might help because that'd soak it up quickly, allowing it to seep through to the bamboo as the absorbent 'core' if that makes sense.

We had no problems leak wise when we used a two part system, but we had fluffles & ME airflows which were really bulky and left bad red whelts on the inside of his thighs. I've just acquired a few tots bots regular cotton nippa'd nappies and a blueberry wrap so I'm going to give them a go. I figure the cotton is fairly absorbent, plus the BB wrap doesn't have the poppers around the legs so should be gentler...

If I can get these to work during the day I figure I'll stick with a two-parter and go for something like huggles + WN wrap for overnight!

Wish me luck! :giggle:

Sarah
x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Good luck. Also if he is flooding the nappies sometimes the fleece inner can't cope with it as the wee doesn't pass through it quickly enough. Some people find popping a folded up flannel on top of the fleece helps. You'll probably need to boost the cotton tots as they aren't particularly absorbent. Bamboo nappies will probably be your best option.

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Aye, I thought about that as I think you're right - I'll end up boosting the cotton Totsbots. I did hover over the bamboozles, but it's a pity I can't dry outside as my bamboo inserts take about four days to dry in the house! I think I'd have no chance with the nappies! :shock:

Sarah
x

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:56 am

Just wanted to say as well, if you're looking for wraps that definitely won't mark his legs (and you prefer PUL), you can try Tykies (http://www.tykiediapers.com) or a shorty-style wrap like Lovebums or Stacinator So Simple. If he has particularly chubby thighs the Tykies are a great bet, and you can design your own with free embroidery for only $12 + shipping :shock:.

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies