hf1

How long do pocket nappies last??

My avatar
cazza1982_123
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

How long do pocket nappies last??

Postby cazza1982_123 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:28 am

Just read on a website that they only last one child because they get washed so often (the pul goes). Is this true?

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: How long do pocket nappies last??

Postby Annette » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:35 am

I think it depends on a number of factors. I still have pockets we used for Charlotte and they are still going strong on Ben at 18m. But we have a fairly large collection, they are used in rotation so not that often. We wash at 40 degrees and don't have a dryer so that doesn't affect them. I would think though that the elastic would go before the pul tbh.

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:24 pm

Out of interest, which pockets are people getting the longest 'life-span' out of? And what are you stuffing with? :D

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:12 pm

I have got some fuzzies that a friend of mines lo wore and now Gracie wears, they are still going strong and get worn every day. x

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:03 pm

Until I started making them, all of my DDs pockets were used. Some by one child previously and some by several.....they all lasted well! Her used nappies only got sold when she grew out of them....they were still working well then.

Fuzzi Bunz definitely seemed to have the best life span of the used pockets we had :)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:06 pm

bumgenius seem to have the worst life-span interms of leg-elastic but in theory that's replaceable...

Happy Heiny cotton prints didn't last well for us but they were heavily used...

Fuzzis ours did well though I don't like them on Grace so sold them on but our standard minkis have stood up to some pretty heavy use and are still going very strong...

I also have a pretty large collection but I also have my favourites ;) :giggle:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:39 pm

For sure, if you want nappies to last, then fitteds will last longer I think. I had some MEOS that were second hand for Charlotte and then went on to be used on Ben and they still had loads and loads of life left when we sold them on. But we do have some BGs, Green Kids, Happy Heinys, and Blueberries which are going strong on Ben having been used on Charlotte.

As Steph says, the BGs have probably faired the worst but not in terms of pul or elastic but the velcro is not as sticky and looks really tatty. Cotton laminated pul tends not to wear well, it does stiff and tends to wear at the edges I have found.

In fact, the nappies that get used and abused most often at the moment are the Coolababies as they are used at nursery and they are still looking really good and are working fantastically. So considering they are so cheap, they have been well worth the money.

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies