hf1

Cotton outers worse for boys?

My avatar
squidsin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Cotton outers worse for boys?

Postby squidsin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:31 am

I've got three gorgeous PBPD nappies with cotton front outers that I am thinking of selling as they wick within half an hour of me putting them on my son - presumably as soon as he wees! They are so cute though I was thinking of keeping them for the next baby and hoping it's a girl - I've been wondering if the wicking is worse with boys because they pee forwards instead of down, onto the cotton part? I can't even get cotton border cuts on nappies as they wick on Sam too. Probably doesn't help that he spends 90% of his time on his tummy! Anyone have any joy at making pockets with cotton outers last - and do you have a girl or a boy?!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Cotton outers worse for boys?

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:39 am

I could never use cotton outers on my DD - they wicked terribly. I think cotton outers just don't suit heavier wetters, regardless of whether they're boys or girls.

My avatar
squidsin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby squidsin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:59 am

Sam's not even that heavy a wetter - the rest of his nappies (BGs, itties, GK and WN) usually comfortably last three/four hours without extra boosting. I think perhaps the cotton outers only work if your LO does dainty fairy wees!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:56 am

You are pointing his willy downwards into the nappy aren't you?
Any nappy is more likely to leak if you don't...

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:02 am

I found cotton outer nappies leaked just as equal with both Will and Phe

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:03 am

I stopped using pockets all together as I just got sick of them wicking all the time :-? have you tried extra boosting in them (I know you probably have but sometimes you don't think of these things)

My avatar
squidsin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby squidsin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Doing my best Steph - but you would not believe how squirmy is. I've had to get used to putting nappies on upside down as he crawls away at speed!

My avatar
Heather London
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Heather London » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm

I totally gave up on cotton outers. I thought they didnt suit medium wetters either. Didnt work with either my girl or boy :(

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:05 pm

I couldn't use cotton outers on pockets as they wicked terribly and Archie isn't a heavy wetter at all. I still use them on fitteds as we cover with wool and this seems to keep him drier. I just change then when the outer feels wet, well I change him every 2 hours to keep rashes away anyhow else he suffers. :(

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies