Making inserts for Pockets?

My avatar
cazzywoo
Clothie
Clothie

Making inserts for Pockets?

Postby cazzywoo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:49 am

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it is easy enough to make your own inserts for Pocket nappies? Do any of you do it? If so, what material do you buy, and do you need to stitch several layers together etc?
I've bought a fair few preloved pocket nappies and some didnt have inserts, so just wondered if its worth making my own?!

Thanks, xxxx

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Making inserts for Pockets?

Postby Sally » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:54 am

I have I bamboo terry's cut them in half so they could be folded to the right size and hemmed them,
you can get good price terry squares at www.babeco.co.uk they need to be about 13cm by 30 cm when folded so 60 cm squares are good but you need to check the width and length of your pockets.
i find my home made ones much thicker and more absorbant than my bought ones,
hth,

Sally

My avatar
cazzywoo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby cazzywoo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks for the advice hun! xxxx

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:45 pm

I've made some with some hemp jersey, I just cut 4" wide strips from a metres worth then pinned 2 strips together and zig zaged round the edge, hemp doesn't really fray so the stitching doesn't have to be perfect. Then I just fold the strips to fit the different pockets, usually end up with it folded in 3 so have 6 layers of hemp then put a bamboo or microfibre booster on top, is very slim and lasts around 3 hours

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:22 am

You can get nappy fabrics and bamboo teries etc at EcoEarth Fabrics too. Just folding and stitching together the terries would be plenty, as PP said. A style that is like a very long strip of double layered fabric (like a blueberry insert, if you have one for reference) would be easy to make, easy to adjust to different nappies and quick to dry.

You can buy new fabrics or you can make some from old towels etc, which would be a good idea to do a practice run anyway before cutting up expensive fabrics. Also, you could try posting in the classifieds to see if anyone has some inserts they dont need!

My avatar
cazzywoo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby cazzywoo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks so much for your replies ladies - I am definitely going to give it a try with some old towels first and see how I get on! xxxxx

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:36 pm

or you could just buy microfibre cloths and fold them they more absorbant than terry cotton, you can normaly get about a pack of three for 99p or so, no need to stich them and they dry super quick

My avatar
mammymade
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mammymade » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 pm

i make my own and i use either a terry square, folded up not even hemmed, just stuffed in, ive also used microfibre and bamboo to make inserts and generally use 2-3layers for bamboo and 4layers for microfibre, depending on how long you want them to last you might need 2 but they generally work for a good few hours with just one

x

My avatar
toryuk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby toryuk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:07 pm

Yeah microfibre cloths, 4 for £1 from our Poundland ;)

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies