hf1

Really basic question - sorry!

My avatar
holmes2974
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Really basic question - sorry!

Postby holmes2974 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm sure this is a really basic question - sorry to be so stupid :-? - but I am new to pocket nappies and am getting confused between boosters and inserts. Are they essentially the same thing? I know the inserts go inside the pocket, and are basically the absorbent part of the nappy, but aren't boosters just to increase that absorbency? I've heard that you shouldn't use boosters with stay-dry coverings in pocket nappies - why is that?
Also, if using a booster with a pocket nappy, should it be stuffed inside the pocket, or laid on top of the pocket underneath a liner if you're using one?
Once again, sorry for asking the basics....believe it or not, I was always the quiet one at school who never asked anything, but since I've grown up I've realised you never learn anything that way!! :)

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: Really basic question - sorry!

Postby Louise » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:27 pm

holmes2974 wrote:I'm sure this is a really basic question - sorry to be so stupid :-? - but I am new to pocket nappies and am getting confused between boosters and inserts. Are they essentially the same thing? I know the inserts go inside the pocket, and are basically the absorbent part of the nappy, but aren't boosters just to increase that absorbency?

Inserts are designed to be used to stuff pocket nappies with, boosters are generally used to increase absorbency like you say. But if it is the right shape there is no harm in using a couple of boosters inside a pocket nappy. Basically as long as whatever you stuff the nappy with lies flat inside the pocket and touches both edges without bunching up then its fine to use as an insert.

holmes2974 wrote:I've heard that you shouldn't use boosters with stay-dry coverings in pocket nappies - why is that?

You can get wicking with two layers of fleece touching each other as it repels moisture. I've never had any problems with it though.

holmes2974 wrote:Also, if using a booster with a pocket nappy, should it be stuffed inside the pocket, or laid on top of the pocket underneath a liner if you're using one?

Generally all inserts and boosters are put inside the pocket so the stay dry layer is still touching baby's skin. You don't really need to use an extra liner in a pocket unless you want to use a paper one to make poo disposal easier.

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies