hf1

We're close to giving up

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

We're close to giving up

Postby smilinglou » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:05 pm

Can someone please explain why our Bumgenius pockets and Wonderoos have the inner bit sticking out around the leg elastic so it isn't covered by the outer cover which is supposed to stop leaks, (the wonderoos are really bad for this) the bodysuits are always wet from where the wetness 'wicks', this isn't a fault in our nappies, they actually come like this so why?! Im so close to giving up with cloth nappies because as much as prefolds (meos) and tot bots (which are too huge for clothes) work well i cant afford to keep buying different ones, and the washing is crazy when the nature babycare disposables work ok and havent got the naff chemicals of the bigger brands :(
someone talk me out of giving up lol

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: We're close to giving up

Postby fluffycabbage » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:08 pm

ok firstly, dont use poppered up vests. they cause wicking. yo ucan buy normal vests in small sizes from matalan.

as for the BG white insides poking out - ive never heard of that, or experienced it, tho we do use them with no problems. What do you use to stuff them? x

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:13 pm

awww hun, esometimes a day or so break is in order to let u take stock and think a bit. we use tots alot and still manage normal clothes, i find fleece wraps are a bit better at stopping wicking, failing that have u thought about wool longies or fleece part time? i know a few of my son's nappies are too big for normal clothes, but there are places that make clothes designed for cloth bums, cut for cloth comes to mind first, i also buy a size up for trousers and stuff, but find tots size 1 in a wrap can get inside normal clothes on my 8 months old son. i actually took a break not long ago but found whilst sposies kept up with the wee, the poo explosions out the side and up the back of his nappies were unbearable, and i ended up throwing alot of good clothes away once i even had to cut a vest of taliesin, this was enought to get us back in cloth. u do not say how old your child is hun, not that this makes a huge deal at all, but there is often another way to try with cloth, lots of people have issues now and then, i'm sure the lovely ladies on here will all be too willing to come along and offer u more advice hun, just might be worth a day of so off to take stock and figure what u really wanna do.x

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:29 pm

i second tryign longies or flongies but tbh we have never had a problem fitting nappies into normal clothes occasionly we buy th enext size up but i really don't find them very bulky i have never had a problem with any of our nappies having the inside bit poking out are you sure what ever you are stuffing them isn't to wide thats the only thing which i can think would cause it hope you mange to sort somethng out

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:14 am

I think I wrote a very similar post when I first started cloth. I found whenever we used vests the pockets would leak, whenever we used trousers that were a little tighter around the nappy the pocket would leak and whenever we didn't change the nappy withint 2.5 hours the nappy would leak.

We ended up selling all of our pockets and switching to fitteds with motherease wraps. We now use flongies/longies instead of wraps with our fitteds most days.

If you're not keen on having to rebuy all the nappies again you can always use your pockets as fitteds and put a wrap/flongies over them. I do this with an Itti Bitti I have.

Flongies are a lot cheaper than longies and TBH I am finding them more reliable for no leaks plus loads easier on washing care.

I hope you find something that works for you. :)

My avatar
toryuk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby toryuk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:06 am

We have mostly BGs and always wear a size up in vests as we were experiencing wicking around the vest cuffs. They sort of get 'sucked' into the edge of the nappies. If using a smaller vest I just don't do it up at all, or just the middle popper as this also seems to work.

Not sure what you mean by insides on the outside. Could you try tucking it in once its on? Maybe take a pic and pop it on the thread so we can see.

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:10 pm

I second the not doing up the poppers or only the middle one. I've got many more months of use out of vests by not doing them up, just makes me laugh to see it flapping about if I forget to tuck it in.

The sticking out bits I can only assume is the front edge pushing down out the leg gap when you do up the applix/poppers? Does that even make sense? Try and make sure it is tucked up and towards the back, I sometimes get a sticky out bit if my son has wriggled around too much. But 5 secs spent double checking stops leakage usually when I correct a poor fit.

Hope you find something that works so you don't give up. :hug:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:25 pm

No advice to add other than you can just cut the flaps off the bottom of the vests, they don't fray :wink:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:37 pm

It can be really frustrating cant it? :hug:

First of all, i would ditch the pockets, but then i havnt had any luck with pockets...we always get leaks no matter what we stuff with, i just dont find them any where near as reliable as fitteds. Secondly, have you tried a bamboo fitted? Bamboo little lambs are FAB and really cheap if you find them on classifieds? As for the clothes issue, we use wool full time so dont have that issue but what about leggings/joggers/dungeree's? (sorry cant remember off the top of my head if your LO is a girl or boy!).

I guess it all comes down to how much you want cloth to work...if your happier using nature babies disposables then use them (although i do recall someone posting that nature babies still contained nasty chemicals and that they dont biodegrade unless you compost them yourself) so it would depend on your reasons for wanting to use cloth..

See this thread about eco sposies~
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38630&hilit=eco+sposies

:hug: Hope you work it all out!

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies