Help identifying stuffing please!

My avatar
cherry219
Clothie
Clothie

Help identifying stuffing please!

Postby cherry219 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi ladies,

I introduced myself a while back in the new members section, I'm still trying to get my head round pocket nappies after a friend gave me a load.

My baby has just turned a year old, he's on the 98th centile for weight and height and I think that most of the nappies are too small. My friend gave me some Upsy Daisy mediums, Mommy's Touch one size, 2 medium Minki pockets and a large Blueberry.

She also gave me a big bag of stuffing and my problem is that I really don't know what anything is! Some of it has tags on - there's one Blueberry insert and two Upsy Daisy ones. They look like they might be bamboo. There's a load of what I presume is bamboo, then some thin almost shiny stuff which feels like cotton but I don't know what it is! Then some fleece which I've had from mellyp recently so I know what that is!

There's also 9 large shaped pads, which look brand new, but don't appear to go with any of the nappies. They are shaped, and have a single popper towards one end. At the other (widest) end, they are the width of my fully-stretched handspan, so they're really quite big.

My questions are ...

1: is it all just experimentation - i.e. do I keep trying different combinations of stuffing until I find one that works? Or is there recommendations on number of layers/order of fabric/combinations of fabric etc?

2: In the photo above, is the fabric in the pile at the top, middle and left bamboo? (Sorry if it's too hard to tell!)

3: The fabric bottom left - any ideas? That's the thin shiny stuff.

4: The large shaped pads on the right - any ideas of what they are/what types of nappies they go with? I have my suspicions that they might be boosters for fitted nappies, and since they're in such good condition, would be great to know what they go with so I can either sell them on or get nappies that complement them.

That's all for now - sorry if my questions are silly but I really am a total beginner!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: Help identifying stuffing please!

Postby Louise » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:55 pm

cherry219 wrote:She also gave me a big bag of stuffing and my problem is that I really don't know what anything is!

Can you ask your friend what all the inserts are? Have a read of this post about nappy fabrics - it might help you to identify what some of the inserts are made of.

My questions are ...

cherry219 wrote:1: is it all just experimentation - i.e. do I keep trying different combinations of stuffing until I find one that works? Or is there recommendations on number of layers/order of fabric/combinations of fabric etc?

Microfibre should always go on the top as absorbs quickly,then cotton or bamboo and hemp being the layer furthest away from baby's skin. Some people get on ok with the mf inserts that most pocket nappies come with on its own and others add hemp underneath. We find a combination of bamboo and hemp the best but you'll need to experiment to find out what works best for you. When stuffing a pocket make sure that the inserts fit well - they should be completely flat and touch both edges of the pocket too or you may experience leaks.

cherry219 wrote:3: The fabric bottom left - any ideas? That's the thin shiny stuff.

It's hard to tell what they are made of from the photo but it sounds like they could be made of bamboo terry from your description.

cherry219 wrote:4: The large shaped pads on the right - any ideas of what they are/what types of nappies they go with? I have my suspicions that they might be boosters for fitted nappies, and since they're in such good condition, would be great to know what they go with so I can either sell them on or get nappies that complement them.

The ones with the poppers look like the large part of a wonderoo insert but I've never had one so I'm not sure.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi there

1: is it all just experimentation - i.e. do I keep trying different combinations of stuffing until I find one that works? Or is there recommendations on number of layers/order of fabric/combinations of fabric etc?

Everyone seems to find their owm 'perfect' stuffings! I would probably recommend starting off with mixtures for example, something bamboo and something hemp stuffed intot he same nappy!

2: In the photo above, is the fabric in the pile at the top, middle and left bamboo? (Sorry if it's too hard to tell!)

The fabric in the pile at the top, middle and left actually looks more like Hemp to me. Is it a bit stiff?

3: The fabric bottom left - any ideas? That's the thin shiny stuff.

Mow that looks like bamboo terry to me!

4: The large shaped pads on the right - any ideas of what they are/what types of nappies they go with? I have my suspicions that they might be boosters for fitted nappies, and since they're in such good condition, would be great to know what they go with so I can either sell them on or get nappies that complement them.

hmmm.. they lok similar to the wonderoos inserts to me (wonderoos are a pocket nappy and they come with hourglass shaped large inserts with a smaller one poppered to it)

hth

Jan x

My avatar
cherry219
Clothie
Clothie

Postby cherry219 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:19 pm

Louise wrote:Can you ask your friend what all the inserts are?

Her eldest is now 11 so she can't remember where any of them came from/what they are. She thought the top and middle stuff might be bamboo but she wasn't sure on the rest of it.

Louise wrote:Have a read of this post about nappy fabrics - it might help you to identify what some of the inserts are made of.

Will do, thanks.

Thanks for all the info, I'm off to do some more research. I thought I understood babies but it seems there's a whole new world for me to get my head around ;)

My avatar
cherry219
Clothie
Clothie

Postby cherry219 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:20 pm

JanX wrote:The fabric in the pile at the top, middle and left actually looks more like Hemp to me. Is it a bit stiff?

Yes it is! Good to know, thanks.

hmmm.. they lok similar to the wonderoos inserts to me (wonderoos are a pocket nappy and they come with hourglass shaped large inserts with a smaller one poppered to it)

hth

Jan x

I've had a look at some pictures of the wonderoos inserts and I agree that's what they look like - thanks a lot x

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:09 pm

If you run your fingers over the hourglass shaped ones and any rough skin snags, they are microfibre. Great for speedy absorbency esp when combined with hemp or bamboo. Hemp and bamboo are pretty much interchangeable in my experience altho hemp is a slower absorber. We always used a combination of microfibre with a natural insert as well

My avatar
alemum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby alemum » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:52 am

well the hour glass one is def a wonderoo insert, i should know we are woonderooers, the first one on the left looks like a swaddbees hemp booster, and the middel one looks like a nature babies micor insert. Not sure about the others though :)

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies