hf1

Pocket Inserts for Night time - advice please!

My avatar
cazzywoo
Clothie
Clothie

Pocket Inserts for Night time - advice please!

Postby cazzywoo » Sat May 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering what inserts people use for their pocket nappies to last the night time?
Most of my pockets have microfibre or microterry inserts for in the daytime, and these also last the night with no leaks for DD,who is 10 months old. But for DS, who is 2, and a heavy wetter, even 2 thick inserts dont seem to last the night - he often has a wet sheet when he gets up.

What inserts do you recommend I should get for night time absorbency with no leaks? Bamboo? Hemp? Cotton?
Is hemp jersey and hemp fleece fabric the same as plain hemp fabric?

I'm so confused by it all - most of the nappies I've bought have came with the microterry inserts so I've never had to venture further into the world of boosters and insterts before!! :-?

Thanks xxx

My avatar
Saskia
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Pocket Inserts for Night time - advice please!

Postby Saskia » Sat May 29, 2010 1:41 pm

As far as I'm aware (someone may correct me!) bamboo or hemp jersey is smooth and stretchy like t-shirt material, instead of having a pile or woven texture. Bamboo or hemp fleece is thicker/denser and looks and feels a bit like thick felt - these are the most absorbant options.

Microfibre is not good for a heavy wetter, as although it absorbs super quick, it doesn't hold on to the liquid therefore when saturated it squashes back out of it (like a sponge!). Bamboo is a good all rounder, and holds a lot more liquid than MF. Hemp holds the most liquid, but it absorbs very slowly and a power wee will simply roll off the surface - so you need bamboo or MF on the top of it.

Easy Peasy bamboo and hemp inserts/boosters are very good and not hugely expensive compared to some. P'tit Dessous bamboo inserts are excellent but that bit more expensive. Some people really like Greenkids bamboo inserts too.

Have you considered fitted nappies? These are widely considered to be better and more absorbant for heavy wetters - especially overnight. Maybe have a few fitted night nappies and use the pockets for in the day?

My avatar
cazzywoo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby cazzywoo » Sat May 29, 2010 2:17 pm

Thank you for your advice - that has made the different materials a lot easier to understand. I will have a look at the fitted nappies, and also the inserts you suggested too :)

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:29 am

We use one of these in addition to the normal daytime (micro-terry I think?) insert at night.
http://www.babykind.co.uk/pocketnappyin ... mbooinsert

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:56 pm

We use pockets during the day with p'tits dessous or greenkids bamboo inserts with an easy peasy hemp booster underneath. We use a fitted night nappy at nights with wool or fleece - doubt a pocket nappy would last & DS can't wear PUL over-night.

My avatar
cumbrianlass
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby cumbrianlass » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:41 pm

Another vote for green kids bamboo inserts and easy peasy hemp boosters. I used these in minki pockets with DS until he was just over a year, but would be no good now as they started to get out widdled. Moved to two parters and wraps at night and now never have any problems.

My avatar
chezza
Clothie
Clothie

Postby chezza » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:36 am

I've only just started to use cloth overnight and all we have is pockets.
I've been using one microfibre and two little lambs bamboo boosters (brought from e-bay for something like £12 for 10 - I *think* thats a good price?)

They have been lasting 8 hours on my 5 month old but I'm not too sure where to go from here....

Will I ba able to use ALL bamboo inserts for night time or do they absorb too slowly?

Little confused (and sorry for hijacking thread but didn't want to start a fresh one on the same topic)

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:47 am

we had to stop using microfibre in pockets when dd was about 2 weeks old . if we use pockets overnight we use a PD bamboo insert and either an easy peasy hemp or a trifold itti insert. i wouldn't buy itti inserts specifically for this, but if you happen to have any, it always surprises me how absorbant they are.

My avatar
chezza
Clothie
Clothie

Postby chezza » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:56 am

lovely thank you

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies