hf1

What inserts do i use for a newborn. (HELP)

My avatar
dougal28
Clothie
Clothie

What inserts do i use for a newborn. (HELP)

Postby dougal28 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi everybody, baby due in 2 weeks, first time mum and using pockets nappies, wonderoos and naughty baby. I have alsorts of inserts,terry toweling, mf, hemp and bamboo, also fleece liners, so the problem is what inserts do i use during the day and night for a newborn, it's all new to me and really want to stay using cloth nappies and get it right. Thank you.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: What inserts do i use for a newborn. (HELP)

Postby Shaunie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi, Congratulations on your :pregnant: . I think it's trial & error for everyone at first. I got on fine with m/f inserts until DS reached age 1 and he started to out-pee them so I then switched to bamboo with a hemp booster. Use an insert that fits your nappy properly & then just give it a go! You may find some will work better than others. You may well need something more absorbant than m/f for over-night such as bamboo but also consider that you may be doing night-time nappy changes when baby is young so is unlikely to be in a nappy as long as older babies.

HTH, Siobhan :)

ETA - you may fins o/s nappies, espicially wonderoos quite bulky on a newborn so could consider a few sized pockets?
Last edited by Shaunie on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
mrspumpkin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mrspumpkin » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:54 pm

i ended trying lots of different things before i got nappies i really liked. with both my babies i used fitted nappies- tots bots/ little lambs/ diddy diapers.

for pockets with my son i didn't get them not to leak until he was about 6 month old. with my daughter i knew what i was doing and used them much earlier. i used a wee notion one size pocket with a blueberry combo insert and it was great.

now with daughter age 20 months (nearly) i mainly use itti bitti nappies.

My avatar
dougal28
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dougal28 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks guys, just been and bought 6 tot bots to try, really cheap, the lot for £20 and £4.50 p&p, brand new, so very pleased. The fluffies ones, so cute. So i hope they work, Thanks for your help again.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:07 pm

I used the microfibre insert in my BG's from birth, but had to use the full insert not the newborn one - the newborn one was wee'd through in minutes. For nights I use both the full and newborn inserts together. As others have said though, they are huge on a newborn, so i did get some small pockets too.

The best combination i have found is a small upsy daisy with an itti insert - nice and narrow for a newborn and definitely absorbent enough. The itti insert seems much more absorptive than many other inserts i've tried but would be too narrow for any of my onesize nappies

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:39 pm

I used m/f inserts on my son, and they still work now altho' some days he does out-pee them. I agree trial and error is the way to go but make sure you've prewashed your hemp ones at least half a dozen times so that they're fairly absorbant otherwise you might think they're not as good when they're some of most absorbant ones.

My avatar
dougal28
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dougal28 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:42 pm

shall wash the hemp inserts some more then, but what about the bamboo ones, only washed them twice.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Like people have said it's trial and error, but for us pockets/aio's didn't work well when lo was that small, we were recommended fitteds with wraps, we used tots bots and motherease wraps and they worked so well, once she got chunkier thighs pockets/aio's worked quite well, but clothes shouldn't be tight on them as they tend to wick i.e. undo bodysuits, we use a lot of pockets and use microfibre and then add a bamboo or hemp booster everytime otherwise they dont last long and tend to wick out the edges, bamboo/hemp seem to be very absorbant but try things out, keep trying if things dont go to plan though, it can take some experimenting but when you get there it's great...then you get addicted :evil: :lol:

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies