hf1

Why can't I use pockets?!

My avatar
staceybear
Clothie
Clothie

Why can't I use pockets?!

Postby staceybear » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:56 pm

I'm just wondering, if I am doing something wrong! I have some pockets that I have been trying (blueberry, bumgenius, and puddlekins) and they leak from the legs within about an hour! I have pulled it as tight as I can...Any advice?? (because I love pockets and have just won a totsbots easyfit, which I am desperate to get on with!)

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Why can't I use pockets?!

Postby emmalala » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:57 pm

what are they stuffed with? have they been pre-washed? i have to stuff mine with bamboo and hemp to make them last

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:17 pm

We don't really get on with pockets either ... really should make more of an effort to get the stuffing right as I've 10 gorgeous embroidered WN as well as 3 BBOS and 6 Ittis, most of which never get used :roll: because of the leg leak issue, and it's not because it's too loose as he has massive thighs now!

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:23 pm

I could never use pockets with Connor, he'd outwee them in no time. Finn's fine in them though. In a BG I use the BG insert with an Easy Peasy hemp under it and that works fine. The double BB insert does the job in our BB too. Other than trying different inserts I don't know what to suggest. Sorry!

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:27 pm

I have had problems on and off but we have sorted it at the mo,
Zorb on top, then bamboo then hemp and getting the rise and waist settings perfect and then we are ok, my one and only fleece lined one still leaks wee out the leg as soon as she wees :roll:

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:32 pm

When using pockets I always fasten them snugly, then refasten each tab separately iyswim and rarely have problems.
DH just fastens them the once and ALWAYS gets leaks. :lol:
We need the microfibre + hemp or bamboo combination to be reliable though.... and despite having both of these, the Blueberry booster needs the newborn BG insert flung in or we get leaks.
Do you use liners? If so, could an edge be sneaking out to cause the wicking?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:26 pm

Moved to the nappy section (specifically the pocket section)

If you're only using the microfibre insert that comes with the nappy you will most likely get leaks.

Also nappy inserts need to be prewashed a number of times before they work.

Make sure you're not using fabric conditioner when you wash the nappies as this coats the fibres and repels water.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:57 pm

We used to get wicking from the legs because we did the bodysuits up over them, anything tight over pockets presses on the material and lets through moisture, so tights, tight trousers, sleep suits etc either get bigger sizes, or do the poppers up on bodysuits, put trousers on then reach in and un do the poppers, or get vest extenders. Plus we used to use only the mf insert on it's own & sometimes they werent lieing flat and were ruffled against the sides so like others have said it just doesnt work, now we use a mf insert and mf booster in bg fine but hemp/bamboo are really absorbant too and probably make for less bulk as less mf being used.
Pockets and aio's never worked when my lo was tiny, I think they need a bit of chunk to their thighs :giggle:

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies