hf1

Wicking!

My avatar
Freyarose
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Wicking!

Postby Freyarose » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:44 am

Im new to cloth, i was going to buy some issy bears to add to little freyas rapidly growing collection, but i may sound silly asking this ... I have read few topics on here and people mention about issy bears wicking.. but what is wicking ??

hope u all arent laughing at me

I use cushie tushies and blueberries and have just added a flip and a bumgenious to the collection, i thought issy bear were similar to the blueberries am i wrong ??

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Wicking!

Postby northernruth » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:49 am

Wicking is common in cotton covered nappies - the nappy is waterproof as the cotton is PUL backed, but liquid "wicks" from the wet inner up the cotton outer - imagine putting a piece of cotton fabric with one end in a bowl of water, the dampness would wick up the fabric so that even the fabric not immersed would get wet. So that's what wicking is and why certain outers - cotton being the main one but I've also heard minkee mentioned, altho we never had any issues with minkee - don't last as long as basic PUL

HTH :widesmile:, and no, no-one is laughing!

My avatar
Freyarose
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Freyarose » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks for explaining that lol

All my nappies i have are minkie so maybe thats why i havent experienced it

:giggle:

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:39 am

Yep Ruth has explained that perfectly. I've also never experienced it with minkee, I think cotton is the worst culprit tbh, in my experience anyway. I have a cotton Issy Bear and a minkee one, the cotton one does wick but only after a couple of hours so it's fine really as long as you change it in time. The minkee one has never wicked/leaked.

Rach xx

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies