My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Tell me all about inserts/stuffings for pocket nappies

Postby anya1973 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:17 pm

Help! I need help again!

As a returning clothie I find myself asking for advice again. :roll: :lol:

I used to use Slinki Minkis on my DD when she was in nappies and stuffed them with two Tesco microfibre cloths folded into three.

This worked really well for her day and night. She was about 14 months or so when we started using the Minkis instead of a two part system so don't think she weed as much then as she did when she was younger.

Anyway, I am now using cloth on DS2. He's 13 weeks old, I *think* he's verging on being a heavy wetter although it may be that I just need to change him more often. :wink:

I'm gradually building up a stash of pocket nappies. So far I have some pocket bots, happy heinys, Sumbuns, Drybees, got some Berry Plush and Blueberry side snaps coming - oh I'm enjoying this bit immensely!! :lol: :lol: But as far as inserts are concerned I don't have a clue.

Bamboo wasn't around when I was using cloth on DD. Hemp was but I didn't know much about it and didn't use it.

So, what I need to know is:

What are the best combos for inserts?

How many do I need to use in each nappy?

Which give the trimmest fit?

Which are the most absorbent?

Which fit which nappies the best?

How many times do inserts need to be washed to get up to full absorbancy?

I'm completely confused by all the different types and styles and am really not sure what I need.

So far I have bought four Easy Peasy hemp jersey boosters which I haven't washed yet but they fit nicely in the medium pocket bots I've got.

So, please take pity on me and sort me out! My mind is completely boggled about all this. I've been reading up on it all and have only managed to confuse myself further. :? :lol:

Helen xx
Last edited by anya1973 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
mythreelittlemice
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Tell me all about inserts/stuffings for pocket nappies

Postby mythreelittlemice » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:34 pm

So, what I need to know is:

What are the best combos for inserts?

microfibre is good on top for quick absorption with hemp or bamboo underneath to hold most of the wetness

How many do I need to use in each nappy?

It depends on the size of the insert :lol: This is going to sound stupid from someone who sells inserts but, when I talk to the ladies at the nappuccino, I often recommend buying in some fabric and cutting it up. One metre of hemp or bamboo could be cut into 6 x 40cm squares. These can then be folded several times to make one good pocket booster and will dry quickly after washing as it will be a single layer. It doesn't even have to be hemmed either as it will stop fraying after a couple of washes (during pre washing)

Which give the trimmest fit?

Hemp is slim and gives a lovely trim fit on pockets. French Terry (hemp or bamboo) is trimmer than fleece

Which are the most absorbent?

My favourite is bamboo (I'm a big fan of bamboo french terry atm :D Hemp is also very absorbent. I find that microfibre on it's own is rarely a good insert (except for Fuzzis).

Which fit which nappies the best?

There are so many pockets out there it's difficult to say. Generally the inserts made by the nappy manufacturer would have been designed to fit that nappy. The best advice is to make sure that the insert goes from edge to edge, does not "bunch" in between the legs and also goes fully from back to front. I think once you have been using pockets for a while you get more confident about what to put in them. Pre folds and terry or bamboo squares make great inserts. I use a lot of muslin clothes wrapped around a simple hemp or bamboo booster and they are fine for my 2 1/2 year old and 18 month old heavy wetter.

How many times do inserts need to be washed to get up to full absorbancy?

It depends on the fabric. Microfibre can be used without pre-washing although I would recommend one wash to remove anything used during manufacture. Cotton will need around 2 pre washes, bamboo 3 and hemp 4 and it won't reach full absorbency until 10 washes.

HTH!

Fiona x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:41 pm

Just came back to answer you but dont' think I can add anything to Fiona's fab reply! Good luck and let us know what you get!

My avatar
sthullen
Clothie
Clothie

Postby sthullen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:57 am

mythreelittlemice wrote:It depends on the size of the insert :lol: This is going to sound stupid from someone who sells inserts but, when I talk to the ladies at the nappuccino, I often recommend buying in some fabric and cutting it up. One metre of hemp or bamboo could be cut into 6 x 40cm squares. These can then be folded several times to make one good pocket booster and will dry quickly after washing as it will be a single layer. It doesn't even have to be hemmed either as it will stop fraying after a couple of washes (during pre washing)

Can you or anyone else recommend where to buy bamboo or hemp fabric by the meter?

Thanks,
Stephanie

My avatar
Kybosh
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kybosh » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:15 am

Try here http://www.babeco.co.uk/BuyFabrics.html I've bought stuff off them ages ago and from what I can remember their delivery time is fairly good.

HTH

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:34 pm

I second babeco... I bought hemp and bamboo jersey off them and delivery time was quite quick...

My avatar
mythreelittlemice
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mythreelittlemice » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:23 pm

I 3rd Babeco! That's where we tend to recommend to people here at the nappuccinos especially as Bristol is not too far away.

Fiona x

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:28 pm

another happier babeco customer here :lol:

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies