Stuffing help needed again!!

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Stuffing help needed again!!

Postby anya1973 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:03 am

OK - so the stash is increasing slowly but surely. :wink: :lol:

Medium pocket bots and blueberry side snaps fit him brilliantly so I'm hoping to get some more when funds allow. :D

I've got some easy peasy hemp inserts.

Cole is a fairly heavy wetter, the 8oz bottles he devours have to go somewhere after all. :lol: So I've been putting two easy peasy inserts into a pocket bot, he's got one on right now, haven't tried it before so fingers crossed it works OK.

It seemed a bit stiff and bulky though so I was wondering if a microfibre booster (how many layers?) on top of one hemp one would work better. Would that be enough? I guess the best way to find out is to try but I'm just trying to see what others have found worked best.

I've bought a load of easy peasy hemp inserts as they seem to fit really well in my pocket bots and sumbuns but I'd like to get some microfibre inserts too. Are there any that are roughly the same size as the easy peasy hemp ones?

Or would it be better just wrapping a microfibre cloth round a hemp insert?

Oh this is all so tricky! I'm so desperate to get him back into cloth after he outgrew all his fitted nappies but I need to get it right. :)

Any other insert recommendations?

Helen xx

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Stuffing help needed again!!

Postby tanya » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:12 am

you need something quick absorbing on top of hemp, as hemp is sooo slow to absorb wee, but it holds a lot. problem is, if you don't put something else in with it, the wee can just leak straight out of the leg holes :( been there, done that!!

bella is a really heavy wetter, but i use a combo of a microfibre insert and either one or two easy peasy hemp inserts in all her pockets.

hemp does dry stiff, unless you use a tumble dryer. but it softens up really quickly once they wee on it.

hth

tanya

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:14 am

tanya2007 wrote:you need something quick absorbing on top of hemp, as hemp is sooo slow to absorb wee, but it holds a lot. problem is, if you don't put something else in with it, the wee can just leak straight out of the leg holes :( been there, done that!!

bella is a really heavy wetter, but i use a combo of a microfibre insert and either one or two easy peasy hemp inserts in all her pockets.

hemp does dry stiff, unless you use a tumble dryer. but it softens up really quickly once they wee on it.

hth

tanya

which microfibre inserts do you use? :)

thanks

helen xx

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:16 am

i only use bgs, hhos or bbos, which all come with their own mf inserts. mother of eden inserts are supposed to be good. you could fold an mf cloth and put that on top of the hemp.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:49 am

tanya2007 wrote:i only use bgs, hhos or bbos, which all come with their own mf inserts. mother of eden inserts are supposed to be good. you could fold an mf cloth and put that on top of the hemp.

i'm hoping to use pocket bot & wee notions side snaps and blueberry side snaps - the style fits him really well as i find them really adjustable as i can have the waist and legs how i need them on him.

i tried one of the blueberrys the other day but it wicked round the legs - i think it was because i didn't have the stuffing right. :roll:

will try some microfibre on top of hemp.

thanks

by the way, do you know if lycra covered nappies (with pul hidden) are any good for heavy wetters?

helen xx

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:58 am

i think lycra is supposed to be better than cotton for heavy wetters as the fabric doesn't encourage wicking as much as cotton does. i don't have any cotton outer pockets any more cos they all wicked badly.

we generally have a tiny amount of wicking around the legs (edge of best becoming slightly damp) after about 2.5 - 3 hours, which is a good indication that the nappy needs changing, but never enough to have to change the vest too. i figure that's a god amount of time for the nappy to last.

unfortunately, the one she's in currently is gonna be soaking. she's been in it since 8am, but asleep since 10am (lazy little lump!!). i would have changed her before her nap, but she as sooo grizzly, she just wanted to sleep. i wasn't expecting a 2 hour nap this early in the day.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:13 am

tanya2007 wrote:i think lycra is supposed to be better than cotton for heavy wetters as the fabric doesn't encourage wicking as much as cotton does. i don't have any cotton outer pockets any more cos they all wicked badly.

we generally have a tiny amount of wicking around the legs (edge of best becoming slightly damp) after about 2.5 - 3 hours, which is a good indication that the nappy needs changing, but never enough to have to change the vest too. i figure that's a god amount of time for the nappy to last.

unfortunately, the one she's in currently is gonna be soaking. she's been in it since 8am, but asleep since 10am (lazy little lump!!). i would have changed her before her nap, but she as sooo grizzly, she just wanted to sleep. i wasn't expecting a 2 hour nap this early in the day.

well the pul pocket bots he's had on for about 2 hours with 2 easy peasy hemp inserts in seems to be still going strong. :D

i'm toying with the idea of a wee notions lycra covered side snapper. :lol: it's a bit limiting having a heavy wetter. :(

wonder how soggy your little one will be when she wakes up. let me know - be interesting to know.

helen xx

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:45 am

well, she got up about half an hour ago, and the nappy was soaking wet but no leaks anywhere :) very happy mummy.

it was a happy heiney one size, and those uuaully start to wick after 2.5 hours, so i'm doubly impressed. she's now in the ultra-reliable bumgenius, but i am expecting a poo soon.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:04 pm

tanya2007 wrote:well, she got up about half an hour ago, and the nappy was soaking wet but no leaks anywhere :) very happy mummy.

it was a happy heiney one size, and those uuaully start to wick after 2.5 hours, so i'm doubly impressed. she's now in the ultra-reliable bumgenius, but i am expecting a poo soon.

Wow! That's impressive. :D

Well I changed Cole - he'd been in a medium pocket bots (pul outer) stuffed with two easy peasy hemp inserts. The edges of his vest were wet. Not soaking and I didn't change his vest but more than just damp. :roll:

I took the inserts out to see how wet they were - both were wet but not sodden. The last 1/4 of them where they were at the back of the nappy were bone dry.

Not sure what to think really. Will get some microfibre inserts and try one of those on top of a hemp I think.

I've tried on some of the other pockets I've got but they seem too big around the legholes. Perhaps he is just not big enough for mediums?

He's about 13lb, long in the body, chunky-ish thighs, average beer belly. I don't think small pockets would fit him though. The medium Happy Heiny is way too baggy round the thighs as is the Drybees.

The best fit so far have been the medium pocket bots and medium blueberry sidesnaps. They both fit really well round the leg and the waist.

Feeling a bit disappointed as I really can't have wet clothes like this. I don't mind changing him every 2-3 hours or so but when we're out and about he tends to sleep for hours (shame he doesn't when we're at home but that's a whole other story :evil: ).

Not sure what to do really. :( I used to use terry fitted nappies with airflows but he grew out of the fitted nappies and the airflows were giving him marks on his legs. I'd much rather be using pockets as we don't have a tumble drier and I just find pockets so much quicker and easier to use. :D

Help! Don't know what to do now. :( Guess I just have to keep trying different things. Hmmm....just wondering if the inserts aren't up to full strength yet - they've been washed about half a dozen times now.

Helen xx

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies