hf1

Stuffing help needed again!!

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Stuffing help needed again!!

Postby anya1973 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:00 am

Rae wrote:I haven't tried all the wee notions inserts, but suzanne from wee notions will give you a lot of advice on her products.
We have a night notions, and have the big part of the insert in bamboo, anf the snap in section in hemp. In saying that we also use an easypeasy hemp booster in there for nights, and that combo works well for us. For daytime we can get away with a microfibre and an easy peasy hemp for 3 hours or so (depending on how much she has had to drink).

Fingers crossed you will have a relatively dry boy around 11pm.

Well I have to say I was amazed to find him bone dry and his clothese too when I went up to get him for his last feed. :D He was wearing a fleece wee notions pocket stuff withed just one hemp easy peasy insert with a tesco microfibre cloth folded into two and put on top of the hemp insert.

The hemp insert was almost saturated bar a tiny bit right at the top at the back of the nappy.

His vest and babygro were dry. The leg holes of the nappy were beautifully dry too. :) He'd been wearing it for about 4 1/2 hours!! Not bad going for a little boy who had downed an 8oz bottle at about 6pm!

Will try another pocket today and see how we go. I'm experimenting at the moment. :lol: Haven't yet got enough pockets to go full time yet but we're getting there slowly.

Helen xx

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:01 am

Rae wrote:I have the microfibre inserts that came with my bumgenius, I have 2 microfibre inserts that are of unknown brand like the top one in the following.
http://www.totnesnappycompany-shop.co.u ... c01a3a9b64
We have also used a muslin successfully on top of a hemp booster. We tried the cheap tesco microfibre cloths, but they didn't seem to work well for us, however other people have used them successfully.

Will have a look. Thanks. :)

Helen xx

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:04 am

Velvetsteph wrote:I use microfibre inserts ontop of my hemp easypeasy inserts - but I've also used bamboo successfully ontop of hemp (less sweaty too!)

If I'm using bamboo I either use a generic bamboo booster from anywhere - or a small bamboo terry from babeco - inexpensive and reliable...

It could well be that the inserts aren't up to full absorbency yet - hemp takes around 12 washes to reach full absorbency...

Question for you - the pocketbots he was in which made his vest damp - was it a cotton outer print or a poly one?
I've got a cotton outer pocketbots plus and a poly print version - and the poly one is very reliable, but the cotton one is not...

I find that cotton outer nappies, regardless of brand, tend to need changing sooner or they do wick somewhat... There's not an awful lot you can do about it except boost more, but I tend to stick to lycra or poly outers...
Minkee is supposed to be bad for heavy wetters too but we've not really had any problems with ours and I've got a few different ones...

I've been thinking about trying some bamboo inserts - spent ages looking at them last night on a couple of different websites.

The pocketbots was a plain pul one - was surprised that it wicked but then I don't think I'd got the stuffing right. Am going to give it another go today but with different stuffing.

I had heard different things about minkee too. Suzanne at Wee Notions said that she rated it joint second with velboa, with fleece being her first choice for a heavy wetter. Am still dithering about whether to get a minkee upsy daisy to try. :roll:

Helen xx

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:11 am

anya1973 wrote:The pocketbots was a plain pul one - was surprised that it wicked but then I don't think I'd got the stuffing right. Am going to give it another go today but with different stuffing.
Helen xx

PUL is the waterproof bit (usually white, you can see it lining the inside of the pocket). What Steph was asking about was what the fabric on the outside of the PUL was made out of. Pocketbots plus are made from a polyester fabric, whereas the normal pocketbots are made from cotton.
Other polyester fabrics include fleece, I think verbola and minki. Lycra is mostly polyester.
I'm assuming you have a cotton pocketbots, which will wick a lot faster with a heavy wetter.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:16 am

clothmama wrote:
anya1973 wrote:
Rae wrote:
Do you just use a microfibre cloth with your easy peasy hemp insert or do you actually have a several layer microfibre insert?

Helen xx

Helen, most of my mf collection consisits of cheap cleaning cloths. Some of them I've sewn up so that they are a 3 layer insert - very cheap way to do it!

i've got a couple of tesco cloths so will have a play with them. :)

helen xx

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:28 am

Rae wrote:
anya1973 wrote:The pocketbots was a plain pul one - was surprised that it wicked but then I don't think I'd got the stuffing right. Am going to give it another go today but with different stuffing.
Helen xx

PUL is the waterproof bit (usually white, you can see it lining the inside of the pocket). What Steph was asking about was what the fabric on the outside of the PUL was made out of. Pocketbots plus are made from a polyester fabric, whereas the normal pocketbots are made from cotton.
Other polyester fabrics include fleece, I think verbola and minki. Lycra is mostly polyester.
I'm assuming you have a cotton pocketbots, which will wick a lot faster with a heavy wetter.

it's made from this fabric type: http://www.pocket-tots.com/colours_plain.htm

there is no extra outer layer so not a pocket bots plus. i have another one in this sort too and a cotton pul one - will be selling that one as i just know it won't work for him (bought it before i realised :roll: )

i had it stuffed with two easy peasy hemp inserts but no microfibre so perhaps why it wicked? wee didn't absorb quick enough perhaps?

i'd like to get some more pocket bots but am limited to fabric choices - either plain colours or the limited choice of poly prints. wish he wasn't such a wee monster. :(

i think i've washed the hemp about 6-7 times now so possibly not up to full strength yet too?

helen xx

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:16 am

Helen those pocketbots are poly pul. Try with microfibre or something on top of the hemp, and fingers crossed you will see a big difference.
I honestly didn't see much difference in my hemp after washing it a few times and when it was over 10 times.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:20 am

Rae wrote:Helen those pocketbots are poly pul. Try with microfibre or something on top of the hemp, and fingers crossed you will see a big difference.
I honestly didn't see much difference in my hemp after washing it a few times and when it was over 10 times.

That's what I thought. :)

I've got one ready stuffed with a hemp insert with a microfibre insert on the top ready to go at the next nappy change. Will see how it goes from there. :)

Helen xx

Previous

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies