hf1

Stuffing help needed again!!

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Stuffing help needed again!!

Postby Rae » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:33 pm

I would definately get some microfibre inserts to put on top of the hemp boosters if I were you. However the other day, one of our inserts went missing in the wash, and we used a cotton tea towel on top of the hemp, and that worked a treat.
Or go to the wee notions website and order some of the big fold out bamboo inserts along with a new pocket.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:32 pm

Rae wrote:I would definately get some microfibre inserts to put on top of the hemp boosters if I were you. However the other day, one of our inserts went missing in the wash, and we used a cotton tea towel on top of the hemp, and that worked a treat.
Or go to the wee notions website and order some of the big fold out bamboo inserts along with a new pocket.

how does bamboo compare with hemp and microfibre?

is bamboo better than hemp or about the same?

have my eye on a wee notions - just dithering over which outer! :roll: :lol:

helen xx

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:22 pm

Bamboo is more absorbant than cotton or microfibre. It is a little bulkier than hemp. If you get one of those fold in 2 or 3 boosters, I would prefer bamboo to hemp.
For boosters I would prefer hemp, but for a nappy itself I prefer bamboo, as it is softer and is much less crunchy if you are ever going to dry on the line (or next to the radiators).

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Rae wrote:Bamboo is more absorbant than cotton or microfibre. It is a little bulkier than hemp. If you get one of those fold in 2 or 3 boosters, I would prefer bamboo to hemp.
For boosters I would prefer hemp, but for a nappy itself I prefer bamboo, as it is softer and is much less crunchy if you are ever going to dry on the line (or next to the radiators).

I'm looking at the weenotions inserts page - which ones are better? Or is it all much of a muchness?

The fold in half lengthways ones - are they easier to use than the ones that you fold into three yourself?

The fancy one for night notions (or heavy wetters) - wondering if that might be a good idea for my son. He's a fairly heavy wetter I think. I like the versatility of this one. Noticed that when I took the nappy of Cole earlier the two inserts were bone dry at the back of the nappy (last 1/4 of the inserts that is). So am thinking perhaps some extra padding at the front might help? The night notions one could be folded extra at the front I think.

He's gone to bed in a wee notions fleece side snapping pocket with a easy peasy insert and folded in half microfibre cloth - fingers crossed he won't be all soggy when I get him up at 11pm for his last bottle. :)

Sorry about all the questions. Finding it all a lot more complicated than last time. My DD must have been quite a light wetter - two microfibre cloths in a slinki minki was all she ever needed. :lol: Cole seems to be a totally different kettle of fish. :roll:

Helen xx

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:16 pm

I haven't tried all the wee notions inserts, but suzanne from wee notions will give you a lot of advice on her products.
We have a night notions, and have the big part of the insert in bamboo, anf the snap in section in hemp. In saying that we also use an easypeasy hemp booster in there for nights, and that combo works well for us. For daytime we can get away with a microfibre and an easy peasy hemp for 3 hours or so (depending on how much she has had to drink).

Fingers crossed you will have a relatively dry boy around 11pm.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Rae wrote:I haven't tried all the wee notions inserts, but suzanne from wee notions will give you a lot of advice on her products.
We have a night notions, and have the big part of the insert in bamboo, anf the snap in section in hemp. In saying that we also use an easypeasy hemp booster in there for nights, and that combo works well for us. For daytime we can get away with a microfibre and an easy peasy hemp for 3 hours or so (depending on how much she has had to drink).

Fingers crossed you will have a relatively dry boy around 11pm.

I've just 'spoken' to Suzanne. She's a lovely person to deal with. :D

Do you just use a microfibre cloth with your easy peasy hemp insert or do you actually have a several layer microfibre insert?

Helen xx

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:02 pm

I have the microfibre inserts that came with my bumgenius, I have 2 microfibre inserts that are of unknown brand like the top one in the following.
http://www.totnesnappycompany-shop.co.u ... c01a3a9b64
We have also used a muslin successfully on top of a hemp booster. We tried the cheap tesco microfibre cloths, but they didn't seem to work well for us, however other people have used them successfully.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:54 pm

I use microfibre inserts ontop of my hemp easypeasy inserts - but I've also used bamboo successfully ontop of hemp (less sweaty too!)

If I'm using bamboo I either use a generic bamboo booster from anywhere - or a small bamboo terry from babeco - inexpensive and reliable...

It could well be that the inserts aren't up to full absorbency yet - hemp takes around 12 washes to reach full absorbency...

Question for you - the pocketbots he was in which made his vest damp - was it a cotton outer print or a poly one?
I've got a cotton outer pocketbots plus and a poly print version - and the poly one is very reliable, but the cotton one is not...

I find that cotton outer nappies, regardless of brand, tend to need changing sooner or they do wick somewhat... There's not an awful lot you can do about it except boost more, but I tend to stick to lycra or poly outers...
Minkee is supposed to be bad for heavy wetters too but we've not really had any problems with ours and I've got a few different ones...

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:17 am

anya1973 wrote:
Rae wrote:
Do you just use a microfibre cloth with your easy peasy hemp insert or do you actually have a several layer microfibre insert?

Helen xx

Helen, most of my mf collection consisits of cheap cleaning cloths. Some of them I've sewn up so that they are a 3 layer insert - very cheap way to do it!

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies