Smell advice!

My avatar
Fliblet
Clothie
Clothie

Smell advice!

Postby Fliblet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:29 am

Hi folks

Bit of a weird one, this, but thought there's bound to be the knowledge around here to help me!

I've just started experimenting with pockets as my Grumpabum didn't get on with 2-part fitteds (rashes galore). So far, I've only got a few BG V3s which seem fine as long as I change them early enough (otherwise we get a bit of leakage). My main issue with them is that they are soooooo stinky once they've been wee'd on :puke: It's a really nasty fishy smell (ammonia?), and various attempts to strip using bio and soda crystals have been unsuccessful. My DH is not impressed by them at all for this reason (despite the fact that I think they look really good and perform pretty well), so I'm on the hunt for a pocket that doesn't whiff quite so much! :hohoho:

Any recommendations gladly received. My boy is 3 months old and pretty massive (tall and chunky), so please bear that in mind too :)

Corinne x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Smell advice!

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:34 am

Is your baby breastfed or formula fed?

What's your usual washing routine e.g. how much powder, washing temp, which cycle do you use, how many pre/post rinses and are you in a hard or soft water area?

What are you stuffing the pockets with?

Sorry for the spanish inquisition but that will help me solve the problem ;)

My avatar
Fliblet
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Fliblet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:38 am

Breastfed.

Couple of teaspoons of Sainsbury's own bio (doesn't seem to bother him at all skin-wise) and small quantity of water softening stuff - we live in mega hard water land. Our machine isn't that efficient at rinsing, so I tend to take them out and rinse them by hand individually after the wash. That's the only way I've ever managed to get rid of the bubbles! I don't do a pre-rinse as I haven't needed it so far (although that may change once we get to solids time!).

BGs just stuffed with the microfibre inserts they come with. I have a couple of bamboo boosters but haven't used them yet. I'm happy to take advice on stuffing! :D

Corinne x

My avatar
Fliblet
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Fliblet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:40 am

Oh, and have been washing at 60 to try to get rid of the smell! Usually wash at 40 though and line dry only - no tumble dryer.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 am

Ok firstly on a baby under 6months you should be doing every wash at 60 :)

The ammonia smell definately indicates either buildup or not being washed properly - which could be a problem if your washing machine doesn't wash properly...

What do you use to soften the water? Calgon? I just wonder if that could cause rashes as I've not seen any threads about anyone using it in with nappies...

I would also ditch the microfibre as for us that is what causes rashes and for me it tended to hang onto smells too...

So best routine would be I would say:
Do a cold pre-wash to wash the wee out of the nappy before the hot water sets the smells in.
Dri Pak Soda Crystals (tesco etc sell these they're not expensive) they will soften the water and help the detergent rinse clear - about 1/2 a cup (half a mug would do) and personally I use 100ml of detergent in a soft water area but no less than 50ml of detergent otherwise you don't get the nappies clean properly...
Wash at 60 - use the full water/full rinse symbol on your washing machine and NEVER use quickwash when washing nappies..
After it has finished then do another full rinse cycle - or something like a wool wash (which uses lots of water) with no detergent and then spin fast if you've done the wool wash...

Rinsing by hand shouldn't be more effective than your washing machine either :?

Line drying usually means less smells so that's good ;)

Best stuffing for pockets for us to get a decent stretch of time out of them is bamboo with an easy peasy hemp booster underneath that... I like the Petit Dessous inserts for bamboo ones but they're relatively expensive and you can fold bamboo terry squares to stuff pockets with instead which workes out cheaper and dry quicker too ;)

Hope some of that ramble helps!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:52 am

I would add a pre-wash rinse (cold) and up your powder, a couple of teaspoons really isnt alot especially if you live in hard water area...i do too and i use 100ml ish of powder (line on scoup)...

cold rinse to start (no powder)
60c wash with powder and add an extra rinse on the end.

If your machine isnt great at rinsing then it might not be rinsing the powder out properly which can cause build up and stinky nappies, the extra rinse would help that :)

Crossed posts with steph :giggle:

My avatar
Fliblet
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Fliblet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:20 am

That's great advice ladies - thank you very much indeed! I had heard that stinkiness is a particular feature of BG V3s. Do you think it's just the fact that they're microfibre? Are there any others that don't tend to stink as much?

It's interesting that you suggest using more powder! I always thought it should be less - most confusing :-?

I think we may have to give in and get a new washing machine to be honest. Ours is nearly 10 years old now and it occasionally leaks at the bottom (especially when doing a rinse - another reason why I've started rinsing by hand!), so I think it may be time to accept that the old Bosch has had its day :(

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:24 am

I wouldn't say that stinkiness is a feature of BGv3s - the actuall pocket bit of the nappy is fine, but microfibre inserts in general aren't great, they squish wee out too so you're more likely to get leaks than with a fabric that locks away moisture better like bamboo and hemp...

Sorry you need a new machine but it does sound like yours is on its last legs! Perhaps get it serviced though and they can tell you whether it'll need replacing or not...

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:25 am

Fliblet wrote:That's great advice ladies - thank you very much indeed! I had heard that stinkiness is a particular feature of BG V3s. Do you think it's just the fact that they're microfibre? Are there any others that don't tend to stink as much?

It's interesting that you suggest using more powder! I always thought it should be less - most confusing :-?

I think we may have to give in and get a new washing machine to be honest. Ours is nearly 10 years old now and it occasionally leaks at the bottom (especially when doing a rinse - another reason why I've started rinsing by hand!), so I think it may be time to accept that the old Bosch has had its day :(

I dont use pockets really with kieren but we used BG's exclusivly with megan (V2) for about 8 months and nvere got stinkies...

I think the powder is all to do with your water yype to be honist...i know my nappies would honk if i didnt use enough for sure...it also depends how many nappies you do in each load etc...just keep playing with the routine untill you find what works for you :)

I have started using the soday crystals that steph mentioned (first week) and have been able to but the powder down to half what i was using (so about 50ml) with 3 teaspoons on the soda cyrstals...i dont know how that will work long term though :-?

:giggle: crossed with steph again, sorry...im not stalking you honist! :oops:

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies