hf1

Pocket Bots - where am I going wrong?

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Pocket Bots - where am I going wrong?

Postby anya1973 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:31 pm

OK, so I've got some secondhand pocket bots (plain pul outers) for my heavy wetting babba (nickname for him - well it's actually ickle babba though he's far from ickle. :wink:

They're a size medium, he's about 13lb roughly but long bodied. The nappies fit him really well on the tightest poppers at the waist and round the legs. They're fin in the rise too - I was originally thinking he'd need a medium/long so bought a secondhand one just to try for size (must sell it actually as its cotton outer which will not work with him :roll: ). It came up huge on him so I think we'll get away with mediums for a while yet.

I'm stuffing them with an easy peasy hemp insert with a multiple layer microfibre insert (was recommended some by someone on here - thanks and sorry I can't remember your name off the top of my head :) ).

He was wearing one this afternoon from about 2.15pm-ish to about 5.30pm-ish so quite a while I guess. When I changed him the leg edges were very slightly damp, the fleece seems to stick out a bit. Should I be making sure the fleece all stays right inside the nappy? I'm finding it hard on all the fleece lined nappies I have to stop the fleece inside from rolling out towards the outside.

I took the inserts out to see how wet they were. The hemp one was wet but not absolutely saturated - there was about 1.5cm of dry insert at the end (where it was at the back of the nappy. The microfibre insert felt fairly damp but definitely not sodden. Presumably it is taking the moisture in and then it is being absorbed by the hemp insert behind it.

Am I doing something wrong with the Pocket Bots? Not enough stuffing? Expecting too much from a pocket nappy on such a young baby?

As I said, the nappy didn't leak as such but I was wondering if the fleece round the legholes is supposed to feel so damp. I'm making sure the inserts fill the pocket right up to the edges. Cole does wriggle about a lot though in his cot during the day so I'm wondering if that is making the inserts move a bit and therefore they aren't staying put as much as they should.

Any thoughts?

I had to laugh though, I bought the microfibre inserts from Totnes Nappy Company - the ones at the top of this page:

http://www.totnesnappycompany-shop.co.u ... ers-Liners

I got the large ones as they suggested for medium nappies and they seem enormous! They're actually only about 1 1/2 inches longer than the easy peasy inserts but they looked gigantic when I got them out of the packet. Thought they'd never fit my medium pocket nappies. :lol: I'm thinking I might trim them down a bit in size as I had to fold them over at one end which made the nappy even bulkier. :roll: They're fantastic quality though and I was very impressed with the service. I bought them at about 1.15pm yesterday and they arrived this morning! How's that for fast delivery?! And it was postage free.

I'll shut up now! I'm waffling. :lol:

Thanks

Helen xx

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Pocket Bots - where am I going wrong?

Postby Rae » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:33 pm

The happy heiny website says: We often get the question: Should the fleece roll out? Yes it should roll out. Do NOT try to roll the fleece in. This will cause wicking if you try this.
I think it is the same with all pocket nappies.
I think over 3 hours in a nappy, and the clothes not wet is a good thing. I think with the inserts not being sopping, you could have possibly gone a bit longer without changing without a problem. I think your doing just fine. Fleece is a material that feels warm even when wet, and dries fast, so I don't think your LO would have a problem with it either.
Customer service from Totnes is good :D

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:46 pm

Rae wrote:The happy heiny website says: We often get the question: Should the fleece roll out? Yes it should roll out. Do NOT try to roll the fleece in. This will cause wicking if you try this.
I think it is the same with all pocket nappies.
I think over 3 hours in a nappy, and the clothes not wet is a good thing. I think with the inserts not being sopping, you could have possibly gone a bit longer without changing without a problem. I think your doing just fine. Fleece is a material that feels warm even when wet, and dries fast, so I don't think your LO would have a problem with it either.
Customer service from Totnes is good :D

Yay!! So it looks like I'm getting somewhere now. :D I see what you mean about fleece feeling warm when wet. It felt sort of a bit slimy if that makes sense. Not soaking wet but certainly dampish. His vest was a teeny weeny weeny ickle bit damp right on the edges. Much better than the other day though when I hadn't got the stuffing right. :wink:

I think I may have tried to roll the fleece edges in. :oops: I remember sort of tidying them up after I'd put the nappy on him. :lol: Will make sure I don't do that again. :lol:

I was gobsmacked when I got the parcel of inserts this morning. I stood there thinking what on earth have I ordered? Didn't occur to me that it was the inserts already. :lol:

Thanks for the reassurance. :) I'm finding it quite hard at the moment. I really want cloth to work again this time round but I'm having a lot of problems since having Cole. I've been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder following a rather traumatic labour/emergency c-section. :oops: I didn't realise how badly it had all affected me until I lost the plot a bit the other day. :(

It means a lot being able to get advice and friendship on here. I've only been a member for a few weeks but feel completely at home amongst some really lovely people. :D

I'll stop now, I'm getting all mushy aren't I? :roll: :lol:

Helen xx

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:04 pm

We all will have the plot lost at some stage or another, it's just life. Feel free to talk about because there are often others that have gone thru similiar things.
When I was going travelling years ago I bought a fleece jacket and it said on the tag 'warm even when wet' so I got it out of the washing machine (cold water wash) put it on, and it was warm. I was surprised it did what it said on the outside of the tin.

My avatar
buzzybee21
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby buzzybee21 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:06 pm

Helen that's really sweet - hope you find lots of support here :D and sorry you're having such a hard time...

Don't forget that hemp inserts need loads of washes to reach max absorbency... if you only recently got them, they will take a few more weeks before they are totally absorbent.

Also, fleece will breathe as well - fleece wraps work with evaporation so you can expect it to handle a little moisture after that long :D

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:22 pm

Rae wrote:We all will have the plot lost at some stage or another, it's just life. Feel free to talk about because there are often others that have gone thru similiar things.
When I was going travelling years ago I bought a fleece jacket and it said on the tag 'warm even when wet' so I got it out of the washing machine (cold water wash) put it on, and it was warm. I was surprised it did what it said on the outside of the tin.

Thanks, I'm starting to feel quite at home here now. :) I'm finding it hard to talk about it all as I end up bawling my eyes out. :roll: Typing it out is therapeutic as I can do it and it doesn't matter if I'm sat here crying. :lol:

I love fleece - I love the way it is pretty much dry when you get it out of the washing machine. My kids all have fleeces as they're so easy to care for. Besides which I hate ironing! :lol:

Helen xx

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:25 pm

buzzybee21 wrote:Helen that's really sweet - hope you find lots of support here :D and sorry you're having such a hard time...

Don't forget that hemp inserts need loads of washes to reach max absorbency... if you only recently got them, they will take a few more weeks before they are totally absorbent.

Also, fleece will breathe as well - fleece wraps work with evaporation so you can expect it to handle a little moisture after that long :D

Thanks. :)

I can't remember how many times the inserts have been washed now. I'm bunging them in with my clothes washes too (minus the fabric conditioner of course :wink: ) so that they get some extra washes.

I've just had a thought! I know it sounds obvious but bear in mind I've not had a baby in cloth for several years - I wonder if his trousers are a bit tight round the bum to accommodate his nappies? Therefore causing there to be a bit of pressure round the legholes. Hmmm...methinks I need to source some baggier bottoms for him. :lol:

Helen xx

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:54 pm

That could well be part of the problem, to tight a pants can cause compression leakage :D Happy shopping :mrgreen:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:37 am

Helen, so glad you are getting somewhere with the stuffing! I've given up on popper vests as they seem to make the wetness compress out of the nappy.

Glad you are happy on here as well. As PP said there are lots of girls who have had all sorts of experiances and we are all here ready to listen and administer cyber >:D< when needed! :D

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies