hf1

Pockets on newborns?

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Pockets on newborns?

Postby Frances » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Anyone successfully use pockets from birth? I used fitteds from birth to 4 months, which is when I discovered pockets, so I have no experience of using pockets at that stage. It would be my preference though as we had a dreadful time fitting fitteds and wraps under sleepsuits, which I'd prefer bump to mainly wear for the first couple of months. Any advice would be much appreciated!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Pockets on newborns?

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:48 pm

Yep, I did. :) I has a WNSS, Fuzzi Bunz, Pocket Bots and a few BG in Iris' newborn stash. I found them all reliable and was especially surprised at how well the BG seemed to fit from birth, to say it's a OS nappy. (Although it was obviously more bulky than the others!) I preferred the popper nappies on Iris, mainly because they don't scratch like aplix when BF! DH definitely found tiny poppers tricky though, so tended to prefer the BG. The FB definitely had the most growing room of our sized pockets; the WN and PB didn't last many weeks on Iris. Mind, she was a big baby (an ounce under 9lb at birth). I actually really liked the Pocketbots for cost, reliability and cuteness. :)

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:50 pm

That's really helpful thanks Nichola. Jas was the same weight as Iris so not expecting a tiddler :D

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:52 pm

Yep we used pockets from 2 days old and they worked just fine. He was 9lb6oz born but dropped to 8lb10oz.

We used BG sized AIO's in small, xs and small fuzzi bunz, greenkids BTP, Itti AIo's and blueberry side snaps.

I have a few pics if you want to see what any of them fitted like :wink:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:54 pm

JenKyleKaitlinRoo wrote:Yep we used pockets from 2 days old and they worked just fine. He was 9lb6oz born but dropped to 8lb10oz.

We used BG sized AIO's in small, xs and small fuzzi bunz, greenkids BTP, Itti AIo's and blueberry side snaps.

I have a few pics if you want to see what any of them fitted like :wink:

Ooh yes, pics would be fab thanks :hug:
Already got small blueberries and an itti in bump's pocket stash

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:54 pm

Clara was big (9lb 4), and we used bg's from birth and wasn't impressed with them until she was around 6 wks. much too bulky, although this was partly because she was peeing through the newborn insert on day 2, so we had to use the bigger insert... if i had my time over i'd have put in a thinner hemp one and it probably would have worked better. i also used small fuzzi's from a couple of weeks old, and they were fine.

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:56 pm

Hmmmmm. I tried pockets with DS3 from birth as well as fitteds. We had fuzzis, WN, Upsy Daisy etc. I just didn't like them. I found I was changing them constantly because it was hard to get enough stuffing in the small pockets and have them still fit properly. All of the leaks we had were from pockets rather than fitteds.

He was much smaller than my first two so maybe that didn't help, he was totally swamped by my BTP pockets.

We ended up ditching the pockets and the sleepsuits and he just wore long sleeve tops and longies until he was big enough for medium/large pockets.
Last edited by kt24 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Hanna kindly lent me some XS old style (pointy) fuzzis and they were fantastic!
They were the best one, no other pockets fitted well really...
The tiny weenotions were the cutest thing ever but the fit just wasn't as reliable sadly...
BGs etc were just too big on a newborn for my tastes
Again small itti - very cute but fit wasn't good on a newborn with scrawny legs! :lol:

It is as Katie says hard to get enough stuffing into the pocket compared to a fitted of similar bulk though...

My avatar
Heather London
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Heather London » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:54 pm

Used pockets only on DD - she was 10 pounds so not small! Fuzzis were fine. Minkis and Bear Behinds were best for containment. You can fit lots of absorbency in minkis.

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies