Advise pls on very leaky Blueberry mf inserts

My avatar
scubelle
Clothie
Clothie

Advise pls on very leaky Blueberry mf inserts

Postby scubelle » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi
I bought some pre loved Blueberry side snaps with mf insert which I put on this morning for the first time - first one lasted an hour and started to leak badly, so I changed LO into the 2nd one and clean jeans & vest. She went for a nap for 1hr 15mins when I picked her up her jeans and the bed were soaking - as if I had nothing on her at all!!!! Normally she can last about 2 - 3 hours in a Bumgenius mf insert. Are blueberry mf inserts really bad? I thought they were supposed to be good. Do they get less absorbent as they get older? Is there something I can do to revamp these inserts or should I just bin them and get new ones?
Advice please.
Many thanks

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Advise pls on very leaky Blueberry mf inserts

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:15 pm

i think it's a microfibre issue. that or try adding an ep hemp booster, something like that. even when my youngest was 6 weeks old microfibre had a tendancy to squish wee out the sides and up the back. u can get packs of 5 ep hemp boosters for a tenner on ebay :-)

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:55 pm

I agree, try adding hemp or bamboo insert if you can. I use BBSS on my DD and we use the combi mf and hemp inserts (either larges or one size) I find they last a good 2-3 hours on her, sometimes more which is as long as the BG mf insert and LL bamboo booster used to last.

Maybe try a BG insert in the BB to make sure it's the insert absorbency that's the problem, not the fit - if the elastic round the legs has gone for example then your DD might be peeing straight out of the nappy!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:16 pm

What the others have said, try adding an easy peasy insert as they are more absorbent.
Also is it a poppered vest your lo is wearing, if so it could be too tight

My avatar
scubelle
Clothie
Clothie

Postby scubelle » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Thanks for your replies,
She has a vest on, but I have vest extenders, so the vests are super loose now, its definitely not that.
I hope it isn't the elastic, they were sold to me as EUC!!! Is that something I can replace? How can you tell if it's gone?
I have 2 other BBSS which fit perfectly, which is why I bought these ones - could they have different fittings?

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:16 am

If the nappy gapes around the legs or has loose bits and the elastic doesnt spring when pulled then its the elastic but if the nappy is wicking rather than leaking then its more likely to be to do with the inserts, if they are bunched up or dont meet the sides of the nappy inside then the moisture will just seep out the actual nappy shell.
Check the fitting compared to the others, if they are the same nappy they shouldnt be different, if they are you should contact the seller.
As probably said before mf is naf, it squidges the moisture out easily and soaks quickly.
We have vest extenders and sometimes even these are still too tight with some nappies, if the other clothes (espcially jeans) are too tight then you will have the same problem, vest extender or no vest extender.
Hope that helps
Oh and there are people on here that may replace the elastic if you post a 'wanted' or in the wahm section, but if you have only just got the nappies this is still something that you should take up with the seller, sometimes people dont realise the state of the nappy especially if they never owned one new to compare. x

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:55 pm

I don't rate the bb m/f & hemp inserts but if your LO is not out-peeing other m/f ones then I guess there's nothign actually wrong with the inserts but they may just need boosting with hemo like others have said.

Measure up one of the nappies against a well fitting one & you'll be able to see if the elastic is lose in comparison. It is very easy & quick to replace but if they were sold in EUC the elastic *should* be fine :D

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies