hf1

So sick and tired of wicking and leaking

My avatar
mamarozi
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

So sick and tired of wicking and leaking

Postby mamarozi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:01 pm

We've been on and off with cloth(mainly due to repetetive diarrhoeas and a lot of camping during the summer). And I'm starting to think about quitting it for good. My LO is currently 14 months old and we use Bumgenius. And they leak. Dunno, maybe I got spoiled with disposables, but two hours is max I can get out of BGs with both inserts. They are soaked wet. Another problem is wicking. She needs to wear vests, cause otherwise she bareback all the time, but it looks like vests are the main reason for leaks and wicks, even if I put her in a size bigger.
What do your LOs wear in order to prevent wicking?
What do you stuff your pockets with to get the maximum absorbency and yet keep the nappy slim and trim as possible?

I refuse to quit cloth-I invested too much and it would be a major defeat for me to give up on it for good. But if I can not find a combination that will keep her clothes dry...

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: So sick and tired of wicking and leaking

Postby becsom » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:09 pm

What do you currently use in the BGs? If it's just the microfibre ones, I would definitely say try using a combination of bamboo and hemp (eg Easy Peasy). A lot of people don't get on with microfibre - once it gets wet it acts a bit like a sponge so when it compresses, the wetness squeezes out easily.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Wicking and leaking

Postby Shaunie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:10 pm

Are your inserts microfibre? If so, they are great to soak up wee really fast but when full, it compresses out really bad - like squeezing a wet sponge.

You could try bamboo inserts such as P'tis Dessous or Greenkids which are quite slim fitting with an Easy Peasy hemp booster underneath the bamboo. I had to stop using m/f inserts when DS2 was 1 then switched to bamboo & hemp which is the best pocket combo.

The wicking could just be due to the wee being squeezed out of the m/f insert - you may see a change if you try other inserts. Hope that helps :D

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angiepangie2809 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:17 pm

I use v2 bumgenius and stuff mine with 2 bamboo little lambs boosters and an easy peasy hemp insert and very rarely get leacking and I never get wicking. I use vest extenders with ethans vests too which helps. Hope this helps xx

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:39 pm

We ditched the microfibre inserts very early on!! I use a combination of either ptit dessous plus Easy Peasy hemp x2 or 2 easy peasy bamboo and easy peasy hemp. We easily get 2-3 hours and never any leaks/wicking.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Just to second what Siobhan said. I have a super wetter & we use bumgenius with either a p'tits dessous bamboo insert or a green kids double bamboo insert and 1 or 2 easy peasy hemp boosters and they work really well for us.

We also use a vest over the bumgenius and I would think that Siobhan is right when she says it is the microfibre inserts that are causing the wicking.

My avatar
mamarozi
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby mamarozi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:04 pm

Thank you all for fast and helpful advice. I guess, I'll be doin' some shopping instead of selling ;)

My avatar
mamarozi
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby mamarozi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Well, I'll give it a go with different inserts. I have some LL bamboos and some hemp ones, so I'll stuff a couple of BGs and give it a test ride :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:05 am

:wave: :wave: nice to see you back on the board! Camping sounds good - where did you go - abroad or in Slovenia?

Sorry you have been having problems - but yes I agree with what the others say - you have to get the stuffing right and unless you have an extremely light wetter then micro-fibre is not the way to go! I generally used a combo of mf on top of hemp and that worked well bu then bamboo wasn't as readily available as it is now and when I got a few bamboo inserts towards the end I found them great :D

Good luck and let us know how you got on!

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies