hf1

Stuffing pockets for a boy - help needed.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Stuffing pockets for a boy - help needed.

Postby anya1973 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:51 pm

I haven't posted any daft questions about pocket nappies for a while but here's one I need help with. :lol:

I've now started putting Cole into cloth at night, now that my stash of nappies has increased. :wink:

I'm using a fleece Upsy Daisy aplix or a fleece Funky Nappy for night times. Stuffingwise I have two layer bamboo terry wee notions inserts (the fold into three type) with the bit that poppers on to make it extra thick.

Also have a handful of Easy Peasy hemp inserts. And lastly my trusty Funky Nappy microfibre inserts.

I've been using 6 layers of bamboo and then an extra 2 layer bamboo or a hemp insert plus a microfibre on top. Cole sleeps from about 11pm until 7.30/8am and by morning is ponging a bit! I change him straight away in the morning and the last few times the inserts have been sodden. The nappy hasn't leaked as such but his babygros seem to feel a bit damp.

He sleeps on his front now. I put him down on his back but he flips himself over in the night and is always on his front in the morning. :roll: :lol:

Is the dampness on the front of his babygro caused by him lying on his front? In other words - he wees at the front being a boy, then squashes that wee by lying on it?

What would be the best way to alter the inserts to cope? I want to keep him in cloth all the time but need to do some tweaking to the inserts of his night nappies. During the day we have no problems as although he naps on his front too he's obviously not asleep for the same length of time.

Hoping the CNT stuffing experts can come to my rescue once again! :lol:

Helen xx

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Stuffing pockets for a boy - help needed.

Postby Rae » Wed May 28, 2008 8:28 am

Are the inserts completely sodden, or just at the front, with dry sections at the back?

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:02 am

Rae wrote:Are the inserts completely sodden, or just at the front, with dry sections at the back?

Mostly sodden all over - at night that is. During the day there are dry sections towards the back of the inserts.

Helen xx

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Wed May 28, 2008 9:16 am

anya1973 wrote:
Rae wrote:Are the inserts completely sodden, or just at the front, with dry sections at the back?

Mostly sodden all over - at night that is. During the day there are dry sections towards the back of the inserts.

Helen xx

We seem to be having the same problem!!! So will be interested in any answers!

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Wed May 28, 2008 9:32 am

ok, to stuff pockets at night we use a hemp babies bigger weed tri fold insert (wee notions make the same thing now, large square of 2 layers of hemp, which folds into six layers. and ontop of that i fold a 60 cm bamboo terry so it is only half as long as the hemp and pop that at the front. i try to make sure the insert inst all the ay to the front of the pocket (maybe 1cm from the top) and thats it!

in the morning it is sodden, but no leaks (but usually a little dampness when in a slinki minki, as the label wicks a bit, but pocket bots its entirely dry)

hth
shevi
ps. the theory is that the bamboo soaks up the deluge and then the hemp slowly absorbs and store for the night, it is a little wiffy when i remove the inserts, but then it has also sat there warm for 12 or so hours

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Wed May 28, 2008 9:32 am

It seems you have got yourself a very heavy wetter. You might like to try another layer of hemp booster in that night nappy.
Kayleigh at night now uses a HH stuffin including the oval (hemp) and a ellas house hemp and a microfibre on top. It is usually about 85% wet in the morning, with a small section at the back that is still dry.
The other thing is you can decrease the absorbancy of your inserts by using fabric softener, so just checking to make sure your not accidently doing this.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Wed May 28, 2008 11:30 am

Hoping noone minds me hijacking the thread, but at the moment we are using disposables as night ( I'm naughty I know) but Jak even out wees them through the day he has fuzzi bunz with 6 layers of MF (which I know isnt ideal) I'm waiting on some easy peasy hemp inserts hoping these will do the trick if I use 3 layers MF, and 3 layers hemp through the day! We normally get on fine with the 6 layers of MF but they only last 3 hrs MAX, and if were out and he's sitting in his pushchair were lucky if they last 2!

So basically my questions are,

if I swap one of my MF inserts to hemp is this likely to stop him leaking when were out?
secondly, what do you suggest I try at night, do you think its worth trying 3 layers MF and 6 layers hemp?

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Wed May 28, 2008 11:55 am

Microfibre inserts are good, but wee can be squeezed out of them if your LO is sitting on it for a long time etc. Swapping a microfibre booster for a hemp one will make the nappy slimer, and it will probably work a lot better.
At night it is definately trial and error. Kayleigh can out wee a 12 hour sposie at night.
With our HH + oval (7 layers hemp) and other hemp insert (4 layers) - we have 11 layers of hemp and microfibre insert on top. The easy peasy inserts are 6 layers of hemp - so you could very easily try using 2 of them with something on top.

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:07 pm

Just to say from about 18 months onward with ds1 I couldn't trust a pocket of any sort including fuzzis to last more than 2 hours even with microfibre and hemp inserts. I always used a shaped nappy/wrap when out because I knew I could trust them.

Personally I like bamboo and hemp combos at night and don't use microfibre at all. What nappy are you using for nights? I'd try maybe two hemp inserts and get some bamboo boosters or bamboo terries that you can fold up.

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies