hf1

Stuffing pockets for a boy - help needed.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Stuffing pockets for a boy - help needed.

Postby flutterby » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm going to go insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today Jak's nappy leaked again, with 6 layers of MF and 6 layers of hemp after 3 hrs it was totally soaked twice, apart from at the very back!!!

Do you think it may be worth trying bamboo instead, or is it possible that he's just too much of a heavy wetter for pockets, any advice???

We're using fuzzi bunz and blueberries if that's any help!!

He's had about 550 mls to drink all day so I wouldn't say it was by any means excessive, and theres no way he's ready to be potty trained as when he's having nappy free time he wees about 5-10 times in 45 mins!!

I'm at a loss, any help would be hugely appreciated!!

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Stuffing pockets for a boy - help needed.

Postby kt24 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:19 pm

That sounds like loads of stuffing - maybe too much? If you over stuff this can cause leaks too as the fit becomes compromised.

As I have said in previous posts from about 18 months I couldn't trust any pocket for more than 1 1/2 to 2 hours without it wicking round the legs and Blueberries were the worst for this.

Don't know what else to suggest really. I think its a case of trying lots of different stuffing combinations in different pockets until you get the most leak proof one for you.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Stuffing pockets for a boy - help needed.

Postby anya1973 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:18 pm

flutterby wrote:I'm going to go insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today Jak's nappy leaked again, with 6 layers of MF and 6 layers of hemp after 3 hrs it was totally soaked twice, apart from at the very back!!!

Do you think it may be worth trying bamboo instead, or is it possible that he's just too much of a heavy wetter for pockets, any advice???

We're using fuzzi bunz and blueberries if that's any help!!

He's had about 550 mls to drink all day so I wouldn't say it was by any means excessive, and theres no way he's ready to be potty trained as when he's having nappy free time he wees about 5-10 times in 45 mins!!

I'm at a loss, any help would be hugely appreciated!!


I'm no expert by any means but I would say that you have got too much microfibre in there. I was advised when I started using pockets on my son to put a 3 layer microfibre insert first (nearest the inner fleece layer if that makes sense) then the hemp or bamboo behind it.

I use a 3 layer microfibre insert then 6 layers of bamboo or 3 layers of bamboo then the hemp.

I was advised that the microfibre is good at absorbing the wee quickly and taking it away into the nappy, the bamboo and hemp are better at 'holding' the wee once it gets to it.

Hope that makes sense and helps. I use 6 layers of bamboo or 3 of bamboo and 3 of hemp together behind the mf insert.

The other thing is have your inserts reached full absorbancy yet?



Helen xx

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Stuffing pockets for a boy - help needed.

Postby flutterby » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:09 am

Well if you look back a couple of posts I said that Id switched 3 layers of MF for 6 layers of hemp and that it was still leaking so someone told me to try it with the 3 layers of MF I'd taken out, though it seemed an awful lot, but anyway obviously that didn't work!! I'm starting to think pockets just won't work for us, we've just managed a second night in a row with not leaks using 2 parters, and I can't keep spending money on inserts if the pockets aren't going to work, they are fine round the house, but I really need something reliable if were going out as I can't keep taking millions of changes of clothes with me, especially when I'm soon going to have nappies for 2, and all the other stuff babies and toddlers need! I'm at a loss, if any one has something that's worked for them with pockets and a heavy wetter please let me know!!

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Stuffing pockets for a boy - help needed.

Postby anya1973 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:29 am

flutterby wrote:Well if you look back a couple of posts I said that Id switched 3 layers of MF for 6 layers of hemp and that it was still leaking so someone told me to try it with the 3 layers of MF I'd taken out, though it seemed an awful lot, but anyway obviously that didn't work!! I'm starting to think pockets just won't work for us, we've just managed a second night in a row with not leaks using 2 parters, and I can't keep spending money on inserts if the pockets aren't going to work, they are fine round the house, but I really need something reliable if were going out as I can't keep taking millions of changes of clothes with me, especially when I'm soon going to have nappies for 2, and all the other stuff babies and toddlers need! I'm at a loss, if any one has something that's worked for them with pockets and a heavy wetter please let me know!!


hemp holds wee well but i'd say you need something in front to absorb it quickly - hence the bamboo i use. worth a try? my son is a fairly heavy wetter too.


helen xx

ps still think you may have not reached full absorbency with the inserts though.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Stuffing pockets for a boy - help needed.

Postby flutterby » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:35 am

Well I'm waiting for money at the moment then I'm going to order some bamboo squares or inserts!! Which do you use??

It is possible they haven't reached full absorbency yet!

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Stuffing pockets for a boy - help needed.

Postby anya1973 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:16 pm

flutterby wrote:Well I'm waiting for money at the moment then I'm going to order some bamboo squares or inserts!! Which do you use??

It is possible they haven't reached full absorbency yet!


I have the Wee Notions night notions inserts in bamboo. That way you can use the main piece tri-folded as one insert in a pocket nappy. And if you buy them in pairs you can then use two of the snap-on parts together as another insert (so always having 6 layers).

It works out cheaper than buying just the big tri-fold ones on their own (as long as you buy them in pairs :wink: ).

Hope that makes sense.

I also have some bamboo Upsy Daisy ones which are very trim. :D



Helen xx

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Stuffing pockets for a boy - help needed.

Postby flutterby » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:05 pm

OK now I'm confused!!!!

Jak fell asleep after we went out earlier, and ended up having a really long nap (3 hrs) so ended up in his nappy for 5 hrs, and no leaks, inserts were pretty wet though, There was 5 layers of MF and 4 layers of hemp!!

We shall see, maybe they just needed washing more!

When my big weeds arrive, I'll put all my hemp in the prewash with them, that should mean my easy peasy inserts will have had at least 7 washes!!

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Stuffing pockets for a boy - help needed.

Postby Shevi » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:19 pm

Yay!!!!
i'd say when you find something that is working, just stick with it!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies