Washing temperatures

My avatar
Sofia
Clothie
Clothie

Washing temperatures

Postby Sofia » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi

I am just trying out a few various nappies before I buy some more pocket nappies. I used to always use Motherease One size with my last child and I stil love them, but want to try some pocket nappies this tme round.

What I can't get, is that all these pocket nappies from Bum Genius to the Ebay nappy, all have to have cool washes at 30 degrees (BG say they can be washed hotter but advise against it).
Can anyone advise me or tell me their thoughts on a 30 degree wash and hygiene with nappies? Usually previous advise has been to wash hot or 40 degrees at the lowest!

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Washing temperatures

Postby Bluebell » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:59 pm

We have always washed our nappies at 40C with no problems. We have used a mixture of Fuzzis, BumGenius, Wonderoos v1+2, Easyfits v2, Nature Babies and WNOS. Most of our stash is Wonderoo v1s and their washing instructions say 40 so I've always washed everything at that temp. Didn't realise the other ones say 30, maybe they are trying to be more energy efficient?!

My avatar
malina
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby malina » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:25 pm

we are washing our nappies usually at 40, sometimes 50degree. All, fitted, aios and pockets. And all fine, includnig BG.
When the nappies start getting a bit smelly, i wash them at 70degree, and so far no problem.
FOr some reason, i don;t belive in clean nappies washed at 30deg. esp pooey ones :wink: But maybe i;m wrong :wink:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:10 pm

I've always washed all nappies at 60 - yes the elastic goes eventually but I believed that was the wee and being stretched continuously when wet rather than the temperature of the wash...

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:17 pm

since i've moved to bio powder i wash all nappies at 35. anything hotter, and the enzymes will be killed meaning i may as well use non-bio.

everything comes perfectly clean, no problems. i don't soak or use the pre-wash setting.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:25 am

60C always for nappies.

My avatar
Sofia
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Sofia » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Okay, brilliant! This is as I thought, they must be hotter.I have always washed my Motherease on hot. But its so odd that so many of the washing instructions say 30 degrees. I have asked the questions, and I gather its because they won't stay waterproof for long if washed hotter!
In other words, the hotter washes will dramatically shorten the life of the nappy.

Anyone had any problems with this? I gather certainly the Chinese Ebay nappies are all wash cold or 30 degrees!

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:00 pm

I use 40 but word of warning on Ittis, I did them on a 60 and they had the dreaded crinkle and were totally unusable, I think it may have been a certain batch but I wont risk it now x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:35 pm

I've got an ancient BGv1 that has done two children, always been washed at 60 and is fine as far as waterproofing goes though the leg elastic is a little slack now ;) and the aplix has seen better days!

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies