So what's the big deal...

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

So what's the big deal...

Postby joodel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:04 pm

...about pocket nappies?

Seems like many of you use them quite a lot, but I'm struggling to get my head around how they can beat a 2-part system for absorbancy and also for containment in the event of a nasty number 2!

So, convince me...why are they so great?

Judy
PS: have just ordered and received the one and only type of pocket nappy that you can currently get in SA (which EarthBabies calls a stuffable AIO-not sure why!) so will let you know how that works.
Di and I are also going to be working on a pocket nappy if/when our little business gets going :wink:

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: So what's the big deal...

Postby kt24 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:11 pm

because Zac is the master of the crocodile roll and its only one layer to wrestle on him. Nippas are a bit dangerous at the moment and a lot of my fitteds are nippa fastening.

Absorbancy is totally adjustable so I can pick and choose the inserts for the situation and they usually do fit slimmer than a fitted and wrap although of course this depends on the pocket/stuffing.

The dry fast!

They are cute and there is so much choice!

However we do use a mixture. I use fitteds at night with wool and if we are going to be out for a long time I'll sometimes use a fitted and pul wrap because it will last longer without wicking.

I like them both hence why I have a mixed collection. :-D

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:40 pm

I'm about an 80 % fitted 20 % pocket user, pockets are great as they are super speedy for nappy changes being very similar to a disposable and generally they have very funky outers (or I try to choose the ones that do) so they are good for showing off. I would use them more, but daddy is a firm fitted fan, but he just needs extra training!

Oh and they do dry super quick the pocket section and you can stuff them with lots of bits and bobs to make them just right for your lo.

My avatar
nutmeg
Clothie
Clothie

Postby nutmeg » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:32 pm

I love my pockets and all in ones. I've never had an containment issues - maybe I'm just lucky.
I find them much less bulky than 2 parters, they can be easily stuffed to suit the need, quicker to dry and they just look fab!!

My avatar
Claire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Claire » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:12 am

I never thought I'd like pockets. I'd have stuck to my 2 parters happily, just couldn't get my head around them. Then a friend had some barely used Bumgenius that she wanted to sell, it would have been rude not to buy them :wink: .

I just found that they were really slim, dried so quickly and looked comfy for her. Plus, they were so easy to put on. No harder than a disposable, just one thing to grab when you're going out and no chance of any nappy poking out of the back or the leg. I guess the biggest thing for me though was the fact that DH loved them so much and gave me his permission to buy loads more of them. The addiction was complete!!

Now we use nothing but pockets during the day and 2 parters at night. I occasionally get some wicking around the legs, but only if I've left them on a bit too long and I find that they contain poo really well. Others have said they aren't as good on pre-weaned bf babies but I've never had a problem. You just have to try some to find out for yourself! :twisted: :twisted:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:10 am

I use pockets for both my LO's (about 80% pockets and 20% fitteds) I've never had a problem with leaks and that was even with BF, newborn exposions. I love them because you can adjust the absorbancy to suit and they come in the cutest designs that dont have to be covered up by a wrap. Quick and easy to put on :)

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:33 am

I started off using fitteds and wraps on Cole but they weren't successful for many reasons. The fit was poor, his legs got marked, they leaked poo. :(

We switched to pockets and haven't looked back. I've had some problems with poppers so am selling all my popper nappies and going over to aplix as my hands are too sore and stiff to deal with the poppers now.

I love the fact that the pockets and inserts dry so quickly compared to fitteds which we ended up having hanging around for days on end until they were dry. :roll:

Also nappy changes are quicker which is a bonus as Cole is such a wriggler and has now learnt to roll over. :evil: :lol:

Helen xx

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:47 pm

they are quick, and eay...great for out and about and poeple who are not me to change
they dry quickly
they come in loads of cute patterns

tbh i use mostly 2 parts at home and pockets when out or if i leave Boo with someone.

and i use my pockets for showing off...they really are as easy as a sposie and dispel most negetivce myths about cloth.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:30 pm

I really like p0ckets and 2 parts and use a mixture 0f b0th. My mum prefers 2 parts s0 thats what she uses when she minds him M0n t0 Weds.

1 - Slim
2 - easy t0 put 0n (as easy as a disp if velcr0)
3 - handy f0r the change bag
4 - g00d f0r pe0ple wh0 d0n't use cl0th nappies much (i.e. grandad!!)
5 - Just an0ther kind 0f nappy t0 try - L0L

We have never used them at night th0ugh.

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies