hf1

How do I make them last as long?

My avatar
clairegrace
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: How do I make them last as long?

Postby clairegrace » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:05 am

We use sposies at night, for this reason and also because I can cover Grace in sudocrem. I'm terrible for forgetting what time it is when out so if we're going into town or something I use a boosted fitted.

My avatar
x2008xbabyx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby x2008xbabyx » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:22 pm

I love my LL boosters, I tend to put a microfibre in, and 2 LL's, and that last 3 hours easily, once we got to 4 hours, but I usually change DS 3 hourly because his bum gets a bit red if left too long.

We also use disposables and a good layer of sudocrem overnight as he's not a noisy waker, he'll play in his room, and I worry about his skin if he was to poo first thing, and it caused urine burn. Hubby hadn't rushed to change him one afternoon as he though DS was wearing a disposable, and he had a very sore bottom, but luckily, no broken skin :(

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:38 pm

Well to be honest it wouldnt' matter what kind of nappy my child was wearing, if I thought they might poo I'd go get them straight away :? It doesn't make any difference which type of nappy they are in, the skin will still get sore from poo...

Sudocreme shouldn't be used as a barrier anyway, you're supposed to only put a thin layer on, thick layers stop the skin breathing...

Also poo doesn't cause urine burn - but poo and wee combined does cause rashes - best way to avoid this is to change them asap really... It's not nice to leave a child in a soiled nappy ;)

My avatar
x2008xbabyx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby x2008xbabyx » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:50 pm

like I said, DS was with his father at the time, and believe me, his ears were ringing by the time I was through!
I thought it was the combination of the wee & poo mixing together that caused urine burn - because the solids react to the ammonia? And that its less likely to happen in a 'sposie' because they lock away the liquid? I know you get redness & rash pretty much regardless of which type of nappy, because my son had soreness at a week old while he was in Special Care.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Yep poo and wee makes for a nasty skin rash/burn we have had this in the morning also if you cant tell she's done a poo or does one at a funny time of day.
I cant imagine anyone leaving their child in a pooey nappy so I dont think that was what was meant.
Well the removal of the microfibre has really helped so far thanks everyone x

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:Petit Dessous and easy peasy hemp are definately a magic combo for pockets...
As for fitteds... Well you can't really beat fluff and stuff heavy wetter nappies and they're pretty trim too...

Ooo thanks for the recommendation, more shopping I suppose :roll:
lol :giggle:

My avatar
Milanogirl
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Milanogirl » Sun May 08, 2011 3:44 pm

I think that I've just got used to changing every 2-3 hours. I have to admit that when I use disposibles (not very often, but if we are going on holiday), then they hardly seem to need changing at all compared to cloth, but I feel that cloth is worth it (on baby number 3 in cloth with number 4 on the way!).

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Sun May 08, 2011 5:18 pm

I have no idea how long sposies last as we haven't used them since DD was about 4 days old, but we change every 2-3 hours even if the nappy isn't that wet.
We also put DD on the potty at every change and she usually does a big wee so that helps the nappy last better, although surely when they are PT they'll need the loo every few hours anyway?

Previous

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies