hf1

Help with wicking!

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Help with wicking!

Postby Hannahboo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Just looking for some advice on nappies wicking. We have mainly used Flips and BG v4's until I bought an Itti Tutto a few weeks ago and loved it. The first time Darcy wore it we got 4 hours out of it with no leaks so I bought another pre loved this time. Problem is we are now getting wicking around the legs with them but the majority of the insert is dry, we now seem to be getting wicking with her Flips as well!!!! I just bought a WNSS pre loved as I have been wanting to try one for ages but again we seem to be getting wicking at the legs but the insert is only wet in the middle and dry at both ends. I dont know what the insert was that we got with the WN but it looks like one of the WN ones. I really really want the WN to work as I was just about to place an order for some new ones. Do you think they just need a good strip wash or is this just a problem with them fitting wrong? Would they all stop fitting well within the space of a few weeks?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Help with wicking!

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:23 pm

Try a few mins in the tumble dryer on hot to reseal the pul x

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:36 pm

shes also getting towards the age where she may start to hold her wee a little and go more all at once which can lead to some wicking and the inserts only being wet in one place. What Flip inserts are you using? The Organic? If so Id suggest using some microfibre/zorb over the top or using a stay dry insert with a hemp insert underneath.
Of course it may be a fit issue, I know when T went through a funny phase none of his AI2/AIO/pockets were any good, I could only use fitteds and wool unless I wanted to change him every hour.

Wont hurt to try stripping of course!

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks Kirsty and Jo!

Kirsty unfortunately our tumble drier is broken. All the outers look ok, well from what I can see on the WN and Flips anyway, would you be able to tell from sight if they needed re sealing? I will have to wait until I am at my sisters next and try them in her tumble drier as don't think we are bothering getting ours fixed any time soon!

Jo, we have been using the stay dry inserts in the Flip with an EP hemp behind it, which has always been ok. Funny you say about her holding her wee as I did a post a few weeks back about her showing some signs of being ready to potty train even though she is only 14 months :-? She has got into the habit of doing a massive wee on the bathroom floor just before getting in her bath the past 2 nights, which she also seemed to be doing a few weeks ago too (really should leave a potty in there) so you could be on to something there!!

Will maybe try a strip wash tomorrow and see how we go. I am tempted to buy the WN I want anyway, as can always sell it on if it doesn't work (or save it for next baby :giggle: ) If none of that works I guess I had better hurry up and finish the longies I am currently knitting so we can use our fitteds more often :D

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:04 pm

I had a nappy that leaked like that but looked fine, think they can wick where the stitch holes are, a rumble in the tumble solved it, take them to your sisters next time you go, worth a try x

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Kirstyh wrote:I had a nappy that leaked like that but looked fine, think they can wick where the stitch holes are, a rumble in the tumble solved it, take them to your sisters next time you go, worth a try x

Ah ok, thanks will do :D

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:20 pm

our bgs 3/4 wick quite easily. We dont have a tumble but could take them to my mums. Which bit do you tumble the outer or the inner? I thought you couldnt tumble the outer, but have never really looked into it as we dont have one!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:23 pm

ems101 wrote:our bgs 3/4 wick quite easily. We dont have a tumble but could take them to my mums. Which bit do you tumble the outer or the inner? I thought you couldnt tumble the outer, but have never really looked into it as we dont have one!

The outer with the pul, so long as it is a short sharp burst it is fine x

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:11 pm

oh ok (off to look up what pul is...)

Thanks Kirtsy, you are being very helpful to me today :)

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies