hf1

Dissolusioned with BGs

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Dissolusioned with BGs

Postby ems101 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:07 am

I thought my os BGs3/4 were the bees knees when I bought them, but just over a year (less for some of them) the elastic is shot and they are gaping at the leg. I bought boosters for them as the MF inserts really dont last for more than an hr, and DD is not a heavy wetter. Surely these nappies should last more than a year? Ive just bought a couple of blueberrys OS pockets. They seem sturdyier, and dont seem to need extra boosting. They were on sale, so cost the same as a BG. Will these be dissapointing me in a year, or are BGs really not that great.

My childminder is struggling with the BGs, almost every day i get wet clothes sent home, where leaks have happened. Im not 100% sure she is changing her often enough, but she is great in all otehr aspects, so i would be surprised. Maybe shes not pulling them into the thigh crease enough?

Any advice?

xx

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Dissolusioned with BGs

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:20 am

Maybe ask your CM to show you how she does a change? Ask her how often she does change? (How many wet nappies do you get back, that can give you an indication if you dont want to ask)
As for the MF boosters, they are rubbish. We used Hemp on the bottom, then a bamboo and a small MF on the top. MF squishes wet out when it's sat on, which wont help the leaks.

As for the shot elastic, I believe they're easy to replace, but I havent tried yet :)

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:26 am

I just think for the cost, shouldnt the elastic last a bit better? why are they still using MF is it is notoriously rubbish?

We get roughly the right number of wet nappies home, i think shes not putting them on tight enough...

xx

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:33 am

All my BG nappies lost their elastic very quickly, I never got around to replacing it but it's not difficult to do. Microfibre inserts aren't much on their own, I've always put a hemp booster in with them, or used a blueberry insert (which are hemp and MF) or you could use bamboo terries or boosters in them. Blueberry nappies are lovely, although I found them a bit bulky and more leaky than BGs, but perhaps they didn't fit my LO well, some people rave about blueberry nappies!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:34 am

People who don't use cloth nappies (daddy, granny & childminder) seem to find poppers difficult. I would explain to her that she is not closing them properly which leads to leaks & show her how you do it.

Microfibre is fine for light to standard wetters, which a lot of babies are, & it is also cheap & that is why most commercial nappy manufacturers stick with it. I would try easy peasy hemp under the microfibre. It's a really good size for BG.

As for the elastic, if you bought the BG new & you still have receipts, I would recommend complaining to cotton babies. The elastic should last longer. However they do say to wash at 40 & if you wash at 60 they won't cover the nappies as washing at 60 can shorten the life of the elastic & velcro. You can buy kits to replace the elastic of you like.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:44 am

MF is cheap :wink:

The life of elastic is affected by how often it's washed & what temp it's washed at. A lot of people need BG elastic replacing but I have no idea on the life or condition of the nappy. The leg elastic is very easy to replace should you decide to get it done.

Your Cm should be able to put them on tight enough because they are the same principal as a sposie. Perhaps you could check to see how she's doing them.

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angiepangie2809 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:51 am

Microfibre wasn't any good for either of my boys so I always used mine with 2 little lamb bamboo boosters and an ep hemp underneith and they were fab for me. All of mine were buought preloved with shot elastic (I got them dirt cheap) and I replaced the elastic in all of them and they were brilliant for over 18 months. In fact they would still (fab if the velcro hadn't lost their stickyness) however they have been used a lot by me and whoever else had them so I can't complain. Personaly I would complain to the makers of them if you have the proof that you bought them only a year ago. If not I would reccomend you see if someone could replace the elastic for you and them ditch the microfibre and change your inserts. :-)

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:58 am

ive stopped washing at 60, and maybe ill have a go at replacing the elastic, see if that helps. I use LL bamboo on top of the large MF, that seems to hold for at least 2hrs. I rarely get leaks, but can see gapes so can understand why they can leak. Ive been though how to change, fit etc, feel a bit like a nag to keep going on about it, and shes only there 2 days/wk, so not a massive problem.

Thanks for the advice. I just want a really reliable cloth nappy, and cant spend lots working out what works. Hubs isnt into the idea of preloved, so thats not an option either. We'll see how replacing elastic goes xx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:05 am

As others have said mf is cheap that is why it is used. We used hemp with bamboo on top. I bought all my BG's pre loved and they would still be going strong had I been using them x

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies